Importing Video to Mac via Firewire for FCP

Posted by L.Sabia.Byrne 
Importing Video to Mac via Firewire for FCP
March 04, 2011 05:58PM
Hi all

Im having an issue I was hoping to get some advice about.

Ive just bought a new camera that exports HD video via Firewire. I want to bring the footage onto my Mac to bring it straight into FCP

I cant find a way to import it onto my Mac except via iMovie and the problem with iMovie is that it keeps splitting the rushes and when they are put back together again in an FCP timeline it seems to have clipped a couple of frames of the ends of the rushes effectively making the footage useless as the footage consists of long shots

Does anybody have any idea of any other ways of importing onto a Mac via Firewire that wouldnt result in this issue or does anybody have any idea how I can stop iMovie doing this?

Many thanks
Lee
Re: Importing Video to Mac via Firewire for FCP
March 04, 2011 06:33PM
Can you give us details, like the model number of the camera...so we have some chance of helping you out?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 05, 2011 03:08AM
Sure, no problem

The camera that Im using is a JVC GY-HD100 recording in NTSC using a 6 pin tp 6pin Firewire cable going into my Mac which is running FCS3

Ive recorded in HDV on HDV specific tapes

Any advice appreciated guys

Many thanks
Lee
March 05, 2011 03:26AM
You need to use an HDV 720p60 Easy Setup.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 05, 2011 03:36AM
Do you think you could run by me how thats done?

I just want to check that it isnt something that Ive unwittingly done already

Cheers
Lee
March 05, 2011 03:40AM
This is like one of the VERY basic steps in FCP. I think it's time to break open that manual...

In the FINAL CUT PRO menu, select EASY SETUPS. Then choose the one I mentioned.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 05, 2011 03:45AM
ah ha! Sorry about that. I thought you were talking about iMovie

No problem, I know how to set the settings in FCP. I only got a firewire capable camera 2 weeks ago though so iMovie Im just dipping into

So at the moment, I look like Im losing frames from the end of each iMovie clip. If I set the settings as you say that would eliminate the problem?

Does that mean that the frames arent actually being cut at all and its just the format within FCP thats causing the drop? That would certainly explain my idiocy! LOL

Cheers
Lee
March 05, 2011 03:48AM
Sorry, I have zero clue how to use iMovie. You would be better served posting on the iMovie forums.

But HDV is a GOP format, meaning it is compressed in a way that when you stop and start, it breaks the data stream...and shots are broken up into small clips. This causes loss of some footage at the end and beginning of footage.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 05, 2011 03:59AM
You know what Shane? I am such a dumbass!!! Ive just gone straight to the chapter in the bible about Capturing and Transfering footage. Ive read it before but totally forgot it was there....I think I better refamiliarise myself with it

Many thanks for the advice
All the best
Lee
March 05, 2011 09:10AM
Should bring it in as ProRes. HDV is ususally very slow
March 05, 2011 09:56AM
What about trying "HDV to ProRes" for your capture settings?

Post back with your results. I'm having the same problem capturing from the Canon XH A1. Capturing through firewire my footage gets split up. And not just where I stop and start. But if I capture through the Matrox box, I get continuous footage with no breaks.
March 05, 2011 10:20AM
[library.creativecow.net] hope this helps. In my two cents I'm just not a big fan of HDV.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics