Streamclip requirements

Posted by Cedric NS 
Streamclip requirements
March 06, 2011 11:48AM
Hi,

I am trying to convert a DVD-R so that I can import it into FCP. Whenever I try to open the file in Streamclip I receive the familiar "file too short" error. I've read numerous posts about this issue but have not been able to pinpoint a workaround.

The DVD contains an 8 minute Director's Reel. The image quality is already not the best so I am hoping I can use Streamclip to convert the file. Otherwise its Handbrake to MP4 to H264 with another 3rd party software.

Do I need an MPEG 2 player installed on my CPU for Streamclip to recognize the VOB on the DVD? I've been checking the forums and see a couple of mentions regarding MPEG 2 players. However, I cannot interpret how this player fits into this workflow. I have Quicktime Pro 7.6.9

Also, if I am able to get the files into Streamclip, will it bring the audio files along with it? If not, how do I convert audio so that I can import it into my project.

Many thanks

Cedric
Re: Streamclip requirements
March 06, 2011 11:52AM
Are you sure you're opening the correct VOB file? Usually the content isn't the first file on the disc. Look for the largest one (usually 400MB+), and use "Fix Timecode Breaks" on it.

> if I am able to get the files into Streamclip, will it bring the audio files along with it?

Yes.

www.derekmok.com
March 06, 2011 12:21PM
Sometimes the error is due to copyright protection on the disc.

The mention of converting to h.264 sends alarm bells ringing. Convert the file to ProRes, not h.264.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 07, 2011 01:26PM
You can use Cinematize. You have a lot more control over settings.

For Example. You can choose to export straight to ProRes or what ever you want because it sees all the codecs installed when you have FCP installed.

This is what I use for non-copyrighted dvd's.

If it is a copyrighted disc then you have to use Handbrake to first convert to get by the copyright lock. Or another choice is to use Mac The Ripper which also by passes the copyright to rip the raw DVD files then drop the VideoTS folder into Cinematize to convert to what ever you need. That way there isn't a second conversion process.

Also if you ever do have video that is in h.264 never actually use it in video editing. Convert it to a editable codec with QT Pro or what ever you use so that it is correct for FCP to work with.

If you do not do this you have endless redline rendering as well as fcp crashing and codec errors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics