Hollywood's DVD Special Trick

Posted by marinus 
Hollywood's DVD Special Trick
March 07, 2011 08:15PM
This is a follow up on my previous post * Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *

So if I understand correct.

- Shoot 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Capture 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Edit in FCP 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- When your finished with the edit you say send to compressor.

So in Compressor then you select new target for setting.

Then what setting do you select and within the inspector what video or audio settings do you need to change?

Then in DVD Studio Pro if you go to preferences then General. What must your display mode be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows the whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it? And under preferences under the encoding tab what does the aspect ratio need to be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it?

Is it the industry standard to export the video and sound separately from each other when importing it in DVD Studio pro or not, if it is, how do you do it in compressor, what target and inspector settings do you need to choose and set for the video and audio export separately?

Would you say Mpeg 2 is a great export video option since it's smaller then a Mov file? So from Compressor what target and inspector settings do you chose to export in the Mpeg 2 file format? Do you also have to export the mpeg 2 video separate from the audio, if so what will the audio target and inspector settings be. And in DVD Studio Pro how do you get it right to import Mpeg 2 export videos?

Reply ASAP

Thanks again

Marinus
Re: Hollowood's DVD Special Trick
March 07, 2011 08:24PM
"When your finished with the edit you say send to compressor"

no.

i think Ben mentioned this:

export as QuickTime movie, same settings, self contained,
use one of the DVD settings in Compressor, they are self explanatory.

use the resulting files in DVDSP

then Jude & i mentioned this:

in DVDSP, chose a display setting in your Track's inspector window.
this will dictate how the image is displayed on various TVs
check that in the Simulator.

hey, Marinus, no need to ask the same Question over & over,
and maybe drop the asterisks next time winking smiley

cheers,
nick
Re: Hollowood's DVD Special Trick
March 07, 2011 08:59PM
Thx Nick I appreciate your help
* Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *
March 07, 2011 06:53PM
Hi

I'm so interested and would like to know how to pull of the Hollywood's International Standard ? 16:9 and 4:3 Universal DVD?

Basically I've got this Sony Pictures Animation ?Surf's Up? when I insert this into a DVD system that has a 16:9 screen it shows wide screen (16:9 ? 1920x1080) and if I insert it into a system that has 4:3 system (720x576) then it shows the whole frame that I saw on the 16:9 screen but just in letterbox format with black bars on the top and bottom.

Lot of commons errors that people do by making 16:9 videos fit 4:3 screens is the following:

A) They export it 16:9 and make the DVD 4:3. The result of this is when you play it through a 4:3 system it cuts a bit of the frames of at the left and right side of the screen which you originally saw in the wide screen.

B) They put it the 16:9 sequence in a 4:3 sequence then the video look squished and squashed, people in the frame look thinner or fatter.

Isn't the universal option that works with 4:3 and 16:9 systems got something to do with DVD Studio Pro? Isn't there like a universal button (a button which allows you to make the DVD 16:9 and 4:3), which is so smart that whatever system you put the DVD into will read if it is 16:9 or 4:3 and then play it according to the system aspect ratio's size? Or if you import the exported 16:9 video from compressor into DVD Studio Pro, how do you make the the DVD 4:3 with letterbox within DVD Studio Pro? Isn't it the best way to make a 16:9 export 4:3 letterbox in DVD Studio Pro though?

Wow if someone can figured this out then your quite advanced in the editing industry.

I would like to hear the master editor's knowledge and personal experience on this important topic.

Thanks

Marinus
Re: * Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *
March 07, 2011 07:49PM
This is not hard. It's automatic if you have your settings right in DVDSP (and on the TV it is viewed on, of course). Check out the manual.

Re: * Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *
March 07, 2011 08:51PM
Cool Thx Jude
Best option for 4:3 letterbox SD when shooting in 16:9
March 07, 2011 08:50PM
Can some tell me what workflow or option is the easiest, fastest and looks the best for 4:3 letterbox?

No.1

Shoot 16:9 HD
Edit 16:9 HD
Export 16:9 SD
DVD Studio Pro 16:9 letterbox Display mode

No. 2

Down convert 16:9 SD
Edit 16:9 SD
Export 16:9 SD
DVD Studio Pro 16:9 letterbox Display mode

No. 3

Down convert 16:9 SD
Edit 16:9 SD
Export 4:3 SD
DVD Studio Pro 4:3 Display mode

And does any body know under preferences in DVD Studio Pro under the encoding tab how does it effect when you change the aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9 ?

Thanks 4 your help

Marinus
Re: Best option for 4:3 letterbox SD when shooting in 16:9
March 07, 2011 09:50PM
Hi.

I would really like to know what one of the two following options will work the best a SD DVD OR A HD DVD that will play wide screen in a 16:9 and letterbox in a 4:3 screen.

In other words let's take a Hollywood feature film DVD not blu ray is it a SD or a HD DVD that can play on any computer, Tv or DVD set. Or let's say your feature film needs to go on DVD in the stores what will be the best in consideration with compressor and DVD Studio Pro SD or HD DVD?

NO.1

- Export Edit in compressor as HD DVD Target Setting
- In DVD Studio Pro under preferences under the project tab choose DVD standard: HD DVD
- Under the general tab HD menu, tracks and slideshows, choose resolution 1920 x 1080, Display mode 16:9 LETTERBOX

NO.2

Export Edit in compressor as Mpeg 2 or DVD Best Quality
- In DVD Studio Pro under preferences under the project tab choose DVD standard: SD DVD
- Under the general tab SD menu,choose Display mode 16:9 LETTERBOX

Please help me out with this topic thanks so much.

Marinus
* 4:3 Letterbox SD PAL *
March 07, 2011 04:48PM
Hi.

I would like to know some really helpful information and the best ways to do the things I mentioned below in Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro, Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, etc.).

The footage you've collected is 16:9 (1920x1080) and your final product needs to be 4:3 (720x576) Letterbox SD PAL DVD.

- After capturing, what is the first steps before you make a sequence in FCP ?

- What does the sequence settings need to be. Frame Size and Pixel Aspect Ratio 16:9 (1920x1080) or 4:3 (720x576) and what compression type do you need to use ?

- When you're finished with your edit do you export it 16:9 (1920x1080) or 4:3 (720x576) ?

- What settings do you need to use in Compressor in order for the final video to be right for DVD Studio Pro ?

In DVD Studio Pro how can make your DVD letterbox, is this then the 16:9 or 4:3 edit that you're using ?

Or share any info that I've not mentioned that I need to know which is part of the solution of this query.

Thanks

Marinus
Re: * 4:3 Letterbox SD PAL *
March 07, 2011 05:33PM
1. You edit you entire programme as 1920x1080 HD at 25fps

2. You export your Master movie as 1920x1080 HD at 25fps

3. Then you have several options:

A. Import your master movie export back into FCP and setup a 4:3 720x576 FCP timeline and drop the master onto it. Make sure you don't automatically change the sequence settings and you should find that your master will be scaled to to a letterbox version.

Render this down and view on your Broadcast TV CRT to check for interlace-flicker as down-conversion from high resolution often needs some minor blurring to stop this.

Where there is interlace flicker: cut a thru-edit and to the clip add a vertical blur of 0.5 or a gaussian blur of 0.3 to 0.6 which should stop the flicker. If it doesn't - add a bit more.

Export your 4:3 letterbox movie to a self-contained Quicktime.

Compress as MPEG-2 for DVD in Compressor.

B. Import your Master HD movie file into Compressor and compress directly to 4:3 DVD with the options set to make a letterbox movie:

Inspector > Geometry > Output Image Inset (Padding) set yo Preserve source aspect ratio.

However you might need to add blur or anti-aliasing in the frame controls (as per option A) if you find you have interlace-flicker when you play your DVD.

The finer details you can review in the Apple Manuals but either option will work.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 07, 2011 08:15PM
"In DVD Studio Pro how can make your DVD letterbox, is this then the 16:9 or 4:3 edit that you're using ?"

use the 16/9 export in Compressor as-is.

in DVDSP "browser", select the track
go to the Inspector window for the track,
set the "Display Mode" pull-down to 16:9 Letterbox.

this set some flag so the DVD player knows to letterbox when displaying on a 4/3 tv.

always check this sort of thing in the Simulator.

nick
March 07, 2011 09:58PM
Cool. Thx 4 ur help Nick
March 08, 2011 12:15AM
I merged this topic because there seems to be four threads about it. You can keep coming back to the same place to ask more questions on the same topic, marinus. It's just the same group of us answering them all.

March 08, 2011 10:44AM
Good work, Jude. I was getting lost on the email trail.

There was the mention of hd DVD. That function is obsolete. Okay, not exactly. I've used it to create loops for playback of hd material on a Mac for exhibition. But beyond that, it is obsolete. Bluray is the current standard.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics