QuickTime Exports Read Only File

Posted by ClayC 
QuickTime Exports Read Only File
March 17, 2011 07:00AM
Why does Export>QT create a .mov that is Read Only except for the administrator? Never noticed this before. We've had two separate issues recently with sound studios who were able to download our playout files from server, but not save them to disc because of insufficient priviledges. The fix was to go back to the machine the files were created on and with the adminstrator password change the priviledges to ReadWrite for everyone.

What gives? Is there a way to de-activate this or do we have to constantly do this manually for every exported file?
Re: QuickTime Exports Read Only File
March 17, 2011 09:21AM
Good observation! One way out might be to export to a folder with all enclosed items able to read and write all groups. I haven't tested an export but it's easy enough to apply permissions afterward as a workaround.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 17, 2011 09:29AM
Nope. Folder or desktop, same thing happens.

Apply permissions afterward>>... guess I was unclear but yes, that's what we did. But, why? One would think default should be the other way around.
March 17, 2011 09:33AM
I'd guess that's not an FCP problem; that's an OS problem. You're probably logged in as the admin as you edit, so any file you create has the restrictions of admin-created files. What happens if you create a non-admin user account to edit with?

Funny enough, on every station I've ever used, I'm either using an admin account or nobody else is touching the full-quality files. So I've never been aware of the issue.

www.derekmok.com
March 17, 2011 09:49AM
You're right, seems to be an OS issue.

Just clicking around here briefly, everything is written that way; FCP Projectfiles, Color Projectfiles, Motion Projectfiles, Word.docs, Excel.docs, .pdf, .tif, .psd, and so on. Read Only for everyone exept the admin.

Working with administrator login, one would never notice untill one hits a glitch. I never did before either.

Don't have the time today to dig into it further, but will soon.
March 17, 2011 10:40AM
An interesting observation. I've encountered it here and there but never figured what happened. If the file is on a local drive you should be able to write to it with admin privs.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics