Recommendations for Editing Keyboard

Posted by claylyons 
Recommendations for Editing Keyboard
March 21, 2011 10:24PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a FCP usb editing keyboard, can anyone recommend which one is best?

Thanks,

Clay
Re: Recommendations for Editing Keyboard
March 22, 2011 06:53PM
The best one is... the one you have!
Don't worry about these fancy keyboards with colors.... They look cool sure and impress clients but the truth is that if you spend enough time editing you won't be looking at the keyboard, the same way you don't look at it when you type.
Plus, you will create your own keyboard shortcuts. If you use a mouse, a trackball or a tablet, you won't use your keyboard the same way and you will want to be able to create your own shortcuts, that will be comfortable for you. So you don't want to be stuck with symbols and colors on uyour keyboard.
And you'll save a few bucks
March 22, 2011 06:56PM
> Don't worry about these fancy keyboards with colors.... They look cool sure and impress
> clients but the truth is that if you spend enough time editing you won't be looking at
> the keyboard

That's true, and the colour-coded keyboards tend to be a lot less ergonomic. I've also suspected for years that they're not as touch-sensitive (typist-oriented keyboards have subtle differences in the keys that allow your fingers to distinguish one key from another by touch).

But, the colour-coded keyboards are excellent if you're still mouse-oriented and want to start learning a lot more shortcuts on a systematic basis. In a way, you buy those keyboards and use them so that soon you won't need them anymore.

The fact is, though, aside from the labelling, I have never found an editing keyboard that's comfortable.

www.derekmok.com
March 22, 2011 07:21PM
I for one love the Mac white keyboards. with the clear tray shell. I was fortunate enough to come across someone who had bought a couple of Macs for servers and had the keyboards sitting around unused. I asked and he gave them to me. I bought key caps for AVID and FCP that were designed for those keyboards. A solid long lasting keyboard that is useful as long as USB is around for keyboards.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 22, 2011 09:19PM
Thanks All, good information! I was thinking of getting one because I edit on a laptop and some of the F keys double up, but I guess I can just turn them off in preferences if there isn't any advantage to having an editing keyboard.

-Clay
March 23, 2011 01:59PM
I've heard nice things about the Bella FCP Keyboard with jog shuttle. Anyone here use one?

[www.bella-usa.com]
March 23, 2011 02:11PM
I just prefer the old slim Apple low profile extended keyboard. I bought 3 when they first came out to replace those clunky old key ones.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 23, 2011 02:34PM
Yeah, I used it...
Not exciting... Too much back and forth between the mouse, the wheel and the keyboard.
March 23, 2011 02:54PM
On the last Bella I used the put the scroll wheel where the cursor buttons should be. I use cursor buttons far more than the scroll wheel. It's also not a great scroll wheel by my reckoning. The ones on Mackie Controls and the Euphonix panels are more like proper scroll wheels for shuttling up and down timelines.

The good parts of the Bella keyboard are the extra buttons to perform shortcuts. On specific gigs I was able to launch those go to folders quickly but day to day those things get changed frequently and with Expose and other tools (iPhone!) I haven't ever wished I had a Bella of my own. (an inadvertent Twilight reference for you youngsters out there.)

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 23, 2011 04:18PM
I'm with Andrew. I use the clear-cased, white-keys keyboard that came out before the slim aluminum ones, and I have a black kbcovers cover with colored FCP indicators. The cover keeps the dust out of the crevices and also looks cleaner over time than the white keys.

On another system, I use the newer slim aluminum keyboard without a cover. That works well too, and is very comparable to the Macbook keyboards.

I definitely like having a full size keyboard, with a 10-key. It makes entering numbers quick, like when shifting something a few frames or changing the length of a dissolve, and the enter key on the lower right is conveniently located. I like using the wireless Logitech Trackman, with the scroll ball where the thumb is positioned (this is probably right-handed only). It's incredibly ergonomic, especially compared to a standard mouse, on a large monitor or dual-display setup. While you can adjust the sensitivity of a mouse to move across a large monitor with little effort, it becomes problematic when you need fine control. I actually find this trackball more ergonomic than the trackpad on my Macbook Pro. Because the Trackman doesn't have to move all over the desk like a standard mouse, I can position it close to the lower right of the keyboard. This way, the 10-key and enter key are close at hand.
March 23, 2011 05:02PM
Then there's the ability to do THIS with your keyboard. Of course that's one of those crystal case ones, they were dirt traps.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 23, 2011 05:02PM
I'm very happy with the new slim chiclet keyboard. When I have to edit on my laptop-- I use the full size keyboard!!

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels with Command-Option and Arrows!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics