Using FCP as a way to make "daily's" of Sony NX5 clips

Posted by Kitty Hawk 
Using FCP as a way to make "daily's" of Sony NX5 clips
March 25, 2011 05:11PM
Is there a way to make DVD's of all the "in camera" clips from my Sony NX5 camera using my FCP7 set up? I want to transfer the captured clips from the camera to a 16:9 standard def DVD, to show clients on their TV's (w/ DVD players) I need a quick and easy way to burn a DVD of AVCHD card captures from my Sony NX5 camera. If FCP & my MAC's Superdrive doesn't cut it, what will do the job?
Re: Using FCP as a way to make "daily's" of Sony NX5 clips
March 25, 2011 07:42PM
Well, for REALTIME authoring, stringing out the footage on the timeline, adding the TC READER filter, and then outputting via a capture card to a DVD Recorder will be the fastest way to do this. Or, if there is a DVD recorder that can take SD cards, that's another option. ALthough you won't get timecode with that.

If you want to hand the client digital files with timecode, that they can play on their computer, I highly recommend PROXYMILL from imagineproducts.com. It will make proxy's with timecode while you offload...in the background. Burn to a data DVD, or put on a drive and hand to the client.

PLAYABLE DVDs are a bit trickier.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 25, 2011 08:20PM
Thanks, I do not need time code for the current project. But my experience with Log & Transfer, then dragging to the timeline, then burning is way too long. I want something as easy & quick as with my previous workflow of putting the original tape in a tape player, with a firewire it to a DVD burner, playing the tape, & recording to DVD. Is there some way to achieve this via the NX5 output choices of HDMI, USB or component out? Or perhaps dragging the AVCHD files from my desk top to Toast 10, ( I have it )? I think the component out has the best potential but would require some new gear. Is there any way FCP 7 "share" might help?
March 25, 2011 08:26PM
Does you DVD burner have HDMI or component in?

March 25, 2011 08:28PM
If you want to just play out of your camera you can do this the way you used to . It ties up the camera though, unless you can find a card player device that has component out. If your DVD burner has HDMI or component that's the way to go.

But basically any process that includes burning a disc (toast, DVDSP, iDVD) will have some step that is equal to an encoding step, the slowest part. One might be faster, but when you're talking multiple hours of footage, you're looking at a few hours of encoding, burning, and verifying.

Even if you don't need timecode, you can still use ProxyMill to make small H264 Quicktimes of your camera files and hand them to whomever on a re-useable USB stick(s), much much faster than burning a DVD. Plus you can be converting files while you're shooting, which you can't do with tape or playing out of the camera.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics