AVCHD 1080P60 Import

Posted by Kozikowski 
AVCHD 1080P60 Import
March 25, 2011 05:52PM
We have some footage shot on a Panasonic HDC-TM700 camera. We believe it's 1080P60 AVCHD. We have FCP 7.0.3 on 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel machines. OS-X 10.6.7.

I need the spells. Google is no help. That returns hundreds of postings for jobs on lesser machines or other oddball characteristics.

I know I've done this before on other machines, but I can't find the parchment I wrote the spells on.

It's a Log and Transfer variation, right?

It's also remotely possible that we have a damaged show, as if this wasn't complicated enough. So I need to know the exact step where the software automatically constructs the show out of the management and media files. If only to know when it doesn't happen for us.

They could have shot film and this would be a lot easier.

Koz
Re: AVCHD 1080P60 Import
March 25, 2011 06:09PM
You need ClipWrap to transcode to an editable codec like ProRes and edit in a custom 59.94fps sequence.

All the best,

Tom
March 25, 2011 06:14PM
D'Oh!

The framerate kills me, right? 1080P60 is not a broadcast format. It does not fit. I think we can use numbered, exported frames. Will ClipWrap do that?
March 25, 2011 06:43PM
Eh? ClipWrap transcodes to the same frame resolution and frame rate. No numbered frames are needed.

All the best,

Tom
March 25, 2011 08:09PM
But they might be. One of the destinations for this work is the in-house designed frame-management software. The other possible destination is Warner Brothers and goodness knows what they're going to want.

We got one of the Avids to pull in the work. The latest Avid software upgrade knows how to deal with AVCHD and apparently isn't bothered by odd frame rate variations.

Also, the people in Scanning/Recording claim to be able to deal with this as well. I think if I trace this back far enough, this may be one of their cameras. They're on an Adobe Premiere system.

Koz
March 25, 2011 08:22PM
I dunno about the weird frame rates you guys use, but FCP 7.0.3 can certainly deal with AVCHD

March 25, 2011 08:43PM
Log and transfer just doesn't deal with 59.94 AVCHD properly, but ClipWrap does. Once it's in FCP it's not a problem.

All the best,

Tom
April 14, 2011 01:35AM
Hi guys Im using a Pansonic HDC SD 700, having fun but have now tried clipwrap and Aunsoft. So far Aunsoft is winning. Has smearing problems with Clipwrap. Question is : is it worth the extra drama to change over to AVCHD when HA/HG can be directly imported? It the 1080P really worth it?
thanks Cheers
April 14, 2011 07:54AM
Aunsoft isn't worth it. It's spam-promoted software which has been tagged by every professional community as low-quality software. I haven't used it, so I'm only going by word of mouth, but any software company that promotes its product by deceitful anonymous spam (posing as real users giving glowing reviews) isn't touching my computer. Or my credit card.

Jenny, I have to give you a word of caution. I almost deleted your post because it looked a lot like Aunsoft's own anonymous self-promoting spam. If you were ever identified as such, you'd be removed from the forum. I looked at your posting history and it looks like you're actually real, since your registration (2007) pre-dates Aunsoft's appearance (2009). But please, don't advocate Aunsoft on here. We've gotten so much of their spam that we've had to kick out users that appear to be their spam bots.

Back to your question. I don't use that camera, but those recording modes are not actual formats. They are quality settings on the camera, determining the recording bit rates:

[www2.panasonic.com]

All those modes are recording to AVCHD. So you're not "changing to" anything. The camcorders seem to have confusing settings that say "1080" (28Mbps), "HA" (17Mbps), "HG" (13Mbps), "HX" (9Mbps) and "HE" (5Mbps)...but all those settings are supposed to be 1920x1080, so the "1080" setting is very poorly named.

Is it worth it to shoot at a higher bit rate? Only you can answer that question. Higher bit rate means better picture detail, better motion, better colours. But it also means you run out of storage space faster. Which setting suits you is a question only you can answer -- how much storage do you need when shooting? How much storage do you have for keeping and backing up the camera masters? Is the image quality acceptable?

www.derekmok.com
April 14, 2011 07:55AM
What smearing issues? Do you have screen shots?

www.strypesinpost.com
April 15, 2011 01:41AM
thanks Derek
No I have read and signed the ethical standards expected!!
I was writing from experience. The clipwrap was gross and the other unmentionable was great. However I will be guided by you. I think the answer is to go with the HA until FCP comes to the party. Wonder how long that will be. The 1080P is beautiful but the HG wasnt too bad either so to save space, time and a few $s I will change back and still be in front.
thanks and cheers Jenny
April 17, 2011 01:36AM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What smearing issues? Do you have screen shots?
Yes I do have screen shots. Happy for you to email me at dogsjenny@yahoo.com.au and I can send them. Thanks and cheers Jenny
April 17, 2011 07:35PM
all that is useful Derek thanks, now someone has emailed me as I left mine for Strypes re the smearing. As Ian found me here I hope he will read yours to me. If not he should follow the topics.
Ian yes if your AVCHD files are on a card FCP will import via the Log and Tansfer window. If not, if they are on a HDD then you will either transfer them to a card or you will need to convert the MTS files via either of several converters. Clipwrap get the nod here on
this forum as does iskysoft, Voltaic seems to have given some problems I found it ok and so far have only been using the trial versions, but so far iskysoft is fastest. Then it depends on which setting you are using. 1080P is the purest and always needs converting. Panasonic has settings , many but the 2 highest are HA and HG these can be ingested into FCP via the Log and Transfer. Derek also says don't do a straight L+T but put files onto a drive first then use L+T. This is a saving notion.Do prowl the forums there is a lot of info available and Im just coming to terms with this format myself.cheers Jenny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics