Clean install.

Posted by harry323 
Clean install.
March 31, 2011 01:24PM
I have never done a CLEAN INSTALL of FCP.

My system is kinda crashy - it always has been.

Do you think that running that FCP remover thing and then reinstalling from the ground up will decrease my crashes? Or is that a rhinosceros question?

Harry.
Re: Clean install.
March 31, 2011 01:34PM
Not everyone has the time for this kind of thing, but my preference is to buy a new SATA drive, and do a from-the-ground-up install of the OS, and FCP and everything else.
Keeping the old installation handy incase things go south. That's never happened but it's also been good to keep a reference list form the old applications folder to track the myriad of little utility programs I have installed over the past year or so.
Before I had one of those SATA docks I would just pop the new drive into the MacPro and leave it there. Over the next few days it will slowly become the default startup disk until everything is installed and proven to work.

I think I run a pretty bug free system and, with no evidence to back me up other than anecdotal experience, I would like to say it's because I always do a fresh install.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 31, 2011 01:38PM
Thanks for the reply, Andrew.

If I do this using FCS remover, will that remove all the plug-ins from my plug-in folder? I guess I should back that folder up to an external drive.

I might as well do it. I have no work today.

Harry.
March 31, 2011 02:18PM
If you're using Pacifist or some other Un/install utility I can't advise you with any authority. Never used one, hope to never have to. I start from a clean installation and stay that way. I am always months behind on updates (I just yesterday installed Snow Leopard for the first time) and I keep a clone of the primary installation. I am very much Hare instead of Tortoise in this situation.
Maybe someone else can chime in here although I can't help but observe that the actions usually following a "I might as well do X" are not the best laid plans. YMMV.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics