Edit in HDV and author to DVD Studio Pro?

Posted by PG 
PG
Edit in HDV and author to DVD Studio Pro?
April 03, 2011 10:34AM
FCP: 5.1.4
MAC OS: 10.5.8

I have searched the tutorial section but cannot find a tutorial for editing HDV in FCP and then authoring on DVD Studio Pro for release.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

PG
Re: Edit in HDV and author to DVD Studio Pro?
April 03, 2011 11:52AM
If you're looking for a step-by-step tutorial, try reading the manual or buying a FCP tutorial book - the Wohl book is popular, as well as the Weyland book. All three are quite good.

If you have a specific question, feel free to ask.
PG
April 03, 2011 12:00PM
Thanks for the information. I didn't believe that the FCP manual contained any reference to HDV. My mistake. I thought there might be a tutorial on this forum for HDV to DVD Studio Pro.

I will purchase one of the books that you mentioned.

Thanks again.
April 03, 2011 12:50PM
HDV is no different from any other format, other than that it takes longer to process. Same procedure. Export to QuickTime Movie. Encode in Compressor. Author in DVDSP.

All the best,

Tom
PG
April 03, 2011 01:31PM
Thanks for your input Tom. In the past I have only edited in SD anamorphic then created a self contained QT and then dropped it into DVDSP and authored with interactive menu. Is it necessary to encode in Compressor or can I do it without compression?
April 03, 2011 01:55PM
It's going to be compressed some place. If you want to just let DVDSP do it, you can do that.

All the best,

Tom
PG
April 03, 2011 02:04PM
O.K. So now as I understand it all I have to do is burn it to an HDV or Blu Ray disc using an HDV recorder.

Will you recommend an external HDV recorder? Something in the price range of about $200.00?

Thanks again Tom.
April 03, 2011 02:18PM
Whoa! What? There's no such thing as an HDV disc. There's standard definition DVD and there's HD on a Blu-ray disc. DVDSP does not do Blu-ray. Compressor can do a basic Blu-ray disc. Read the manual.

All the best,

Tom
PG
April 03, 2011 02:29PM
I thought this might be too simple. Tom, please explain what a basic Blu-ray disc is.

Thanks
PG
April 03, 2011 02:33PM
If DVDSP does not do HDV with interactive menus what software does?

Basically I am attempting to edit HDV in FCP with the final video recorded in HDV on a DVD with an interactive menu. Just like I do SD anamorphic only in HDV. Is this possible?
April 03, 2011 02:42PM
PG
No offence intended but you are in dire need of some basic background of the technologies you are using.
It would take any of us far too long to get you up to speed on why there is no such thing as an HDV DVD and how you are going to make an interactive menu.

What I think you need to do is break it down into these major components:
Edit the HDV footage in FCP.
Export the final edit.
Compress it for DVD
Author the DVD
Burn it

Every one of those steps is going to require you reading the manual and figuring out what you need to be doing. Don't try any tricks without knowing what you are doing first. Work from basic principals and try to learn what technologies and acronyms mean and do. We will answer questions but we're going to need some sign that you know some basics first.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 03, 2011 02:46PM
Its's a Blu-ray disc with a couple of simple, pre-build menu options. Take a look at the Compressor templates. All fully described in the manual.

All the best,

Tom
PG
April 03, 2011 02:56PM
Tom and Andrew,

I greatly appreciate your guidance and agree that I do need a lot of "basic background of the technologies" as you suggested. I have referred to both the FCP 4 manual as well as the DVDSP manual but have not been able to find the information that I need RE: HDV. I will keep looking.

All I wanted to do was edit in HDV output to QT HDV and author in DVDSP but that may not be possible. I shall keep reading and searching.

Thanks again for the information.

PG
April 03, 2011 03:44PM
I have this on HDV to SD DVD.

[www.kenstone.net]

--ken
April 03, 2011 08:13PM
It's almost exactly the same procedure as SD, PG, as everyone has been saying. Just some of the settings and hardware may need to be different. I burn HDV to SD disks all the time in DVDSP. Not bothered with BlueRay because so few people ask for or use it here.

PG
April 03, 2011 11:30PM
Thanks Jude. I was just about ready to throw in the towel on this matter when your note of encouragement popped up.

I am still somewhat confused, however. When you burn HDV to SD disks what actually do you have on the SD disk? By this I mean is it still SD or HDV or a better looking SD? What would be the purpose of editing in HDV if it didn't produce a better looking image than SD?

I have gone through my manual and third party FCP and DVDSP books but there isn't much on the subject. Can you recommend a book that would lead me through this process. I am using DVDSP 4.1.2.

Thanks again for your encouragement.

PG
April 03, 2011 11:43PM
> When you burn HDV to SD disks what actually do you have on the SD disk? By this I
> mean is it still SD or HDV or a better looking SD?

DVDs are Standard Def. Period. Even if you start out with a 4K image, by the time it reaches a video DVD, it's 720x480, MPEG-2.

> What would be the purpose of editing in HDV if it didn't produce a better looking
> image than SD?

More pixels mean more detail at the acquisition (shoot) stage. An HD image encoded to DVD will look better than an SD image encoded to DVD. But by capturing your HDV as DV, you pretty much threw most of that advantage away. And HDV was never a great HD format to begin with. It's mostly a consumer format.

You mentioned "release". Are you actually expecting studio-quality DVDs from your process? If you are, you are missing the high-end shooting format, the proper capturing and editing, the professional online and colour correction, and the professional DVD encode and authoring -- all factors in why a studio release looks like a studio release.

www.derekmok.com
PG
April 04, 2011 12:03AM
I am no longer doing broadcast videos only pro bono for worthy causes. Therefore, the final DVD release will be screened in conference rooms, internet, etc. However, I am interested in obtaining the best looking images for release as possible.

When authoring a DVD using DVDSP I would imagine that I setup the HDV in the preference menu. I tried it earlier today on a thirty second HDV QT and it took up most of the disk.

There must be a 1-2-3 step manual for this process of going from FCP HDV to a final release on DVD.

Thanks for your assistance, Derek.
April 04, 2011 12:11AM
Did you even look at Ken Stone's link above on how to set up the quicktime for DVD Studio Pro? Do that then launch a discussion in the DVDSPro forum on how to get that file into DVDSPro.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 04, 2011 12:25AM
didn't someone post this already? like more than once??

it's insanely simple;

- export from FCP as a QuickTime Movie, Same settings
- take that file into Compressor,

find one of the DVD presets there. they are easy to find and self explanatory,
drag the preset from the settings window to the file,
submit.

that'll give you two files, one for picture, one for audio,

- these are the files you'll use in DVDSP

coming from HD to SD can be an issue when making a DVD.
hasn't caused me any issues,
but i do see some people complaining about jaggies, etc.

in that case you can tweak the setting once you've applied it in Compressor.
double click on it to open it in the "inspector"
find the Frame Controls tab,
turn Frame Controls on
and set the Resize Filter to "Best"

you can set in/out points in compressor to do tests on a small section,
or just put together some test shots in FCP.

nick
PG
April 04, 2011 09:33AM
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this link and to my education RE: HDV to DVDSP for release on DVD. As Nick pointed out, it is insanely simple.

May you all have a great summer.

PG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics