Crash and Corruption

Posted by stephen Auerbach 
Crash and Corruption
April 06, 2011 12:27PM
Hello,

I was trying to restore a project. The problem with the project was this:

When I tried to open the timeline (with all the media connected) the preparing for video to display bar went completely jiggy . Jumping from 70% to 9% to 31%, etc.

So I thought to open the project, with no media connected and copy smaller bits of the timeline to a new project and see if this was my work-a-round.

Yes, it was - at least yesterday with half of the timeline and it worked fine.

Today, I am having a devilishly difficult time with the following:

My project file opens fine.
(I have dismounted the drives so that no media is connected.)
I open my timeline.
I can click up and down the timeline. - 2 minutes, 8 minutes, 40 minutes, etc
I can move the timeline around via scrolling.
HOWEVER, as soon as I try to click on the media files I crash. As soon as I try and copy part of the timeline, it crashes.

Hopefully this is a clear explanation. If anyone has any ideas I would be most appreciative. If anyone is available to help troubleshoot on an hourly basis, or can recommend someone, I would be happy to go this route. I just want to get out of this jam, and move on to more productive endeavors!

Thanks in advance
Stephen
Re: Crash and Corruption
April 06, 2011 12:34PM
If the media is already offline and this still happens, I'd suspect there's something wrong with your render files (which are still connected to the project, even without the source media), your project file itself, or the drive(s) being used. I'd try the following:

1. Dump preferences, repair permissions.

2. Dump the render files.

3. Move the project file to the system drive. Open it from there.

4. Copy the whole Sequence to a completely new project file (started from scratch). Close the old project and quit FCP. Restart the computer and FCP, then open the new project file.

5. Export an XML of that timeline, Re-import into a new project file. Open up the XML and re-test the behaviour.

www.derekmok.com
April 06, 2011 07:18PM
Also, try Digital Rebellion's Maintenance Pack [www.digitalrebellion.com] which has several tools for recovering from corruption. There's a free trial.

April 07, 2011 12:48AM
I tried what Derek said and it worked fantastic! Once I trashed all the render files
I was home free. Thank you very much.
Stephen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics