Hi everyone - is there a surefire way to...

Posted by marybeth 
Hi everyone - is there a surefire way to...
April 12, 2011 01:59PM
tell if DVX-100a footage was shot in advanced mode or not after capture in standard FCP standard dv capture setting (29.97)?

And if it was shot in advanced mode would you recommend the 23.98 capture setting in FCP with adv. pulldown removal if editing in 23.98 timeline?

I have scoured for this info but find either really technical explanations that are out of my depth or opinions that haven't inspired confidence.

Anyone?
Re: Hi everyone - is there a surefire way to...
April 12, 2011 03:07PM
Normally? Your shooters and producers should be telling you this.

But absent such professional conduct from them smiling smiley, you have to look at the pulldown pattern. Read this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Expand your Log and Capture window. Then step through the tape one frame at a time. Watch for the "stairstepping" interlacing pattern and which frames they're on. That interlacing pattern indicates that one video frame (two fields) has been split between two different images. The number of split frames within a five-frame group indicates which pulldown has been applied.

If they shot 24p Normal, the pattern would be 2:3 pulldown -- four full frames of image (A, B, C, D) would be parsed out into five video frames (10 video fields) like this:

AA, BB, BC, CD, DD

The ones with mixed letters (BC, CD) are the split frames that should have the interlacing pattern.

If it's 24pA, the pattern would be 2:3:3:2, or:

AA, BB, BC, CC, DD

That means in 24pA, for every five video frames, you should have only one split frame, which falls on the third frame of every five-frame group. In 24p, for every five video frames, you should have two split frames, back to back, as the third and fourth frames of every five-frame group.

www.derekmok.com
April 12, 2011 03:27PM
Couldn't agree with you more on that one! winking smiley

And thank you for taking the time! This is extremely helpful...
April 12, 2011 04:07PM
Derek,

One more question. So on footage that has been captured NTSC DV 29.97 (standard FCP pre-set), and it is confirmed it was shot in 24pA, I can simply reverse telecine those clips to 23.98 without issue correct?
April 12, 2011 07:44PM
I only know that Cinema Tools does not do reverse-telecine on footage with 2:3:3:2 advanced pulldown. I know you can capture that while removing advanced pulldown on the fly. FCP itself also has a "Remove Advanced Pulldown" option in the Tools menu, but I've never used it.

www.derekmok.com
April 12, 2011 08:30PM
"Remove Advanced Pulldown" is the way to go. I have edited some stuff shot at 24pa using "Remove Advanced Pulldown". its the proper way.

This may help you as well.

[joshuamosley.com]
April 12, 2011 10:22PM
greatly appreciated derek! Have a great night.
April 12, 2011 10:23PM
really helpful as well...thank you!
April 13, 2011 01:27PM
>I only know that Cinema Tools does not do reverse-telecine on footage with 2:3:3:2 advanced
>pulldown.

That's interesting. Any idea if Compressor does it? Personally, I would like to remove it manually, rather than run a smart detector that sometimes gets it wrong.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics