OT: G-Drive Raid doesn't show up any more

Posted by xavpil 
OT: G-Drive Raid doesn't show up any more
April 21, 2011 11:59PM
I had a G Drive a while back that suddenly stopped showing up on the desktop.
I returned it and got a G Raid. It worked fine for 4 days and tonight it decided to not show up as well.
It shows in Disk Utility but i can't Verify or Repair. I get this message: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Am I doing something wrong when I unmount my drives?
I usually Quit FCP and click the eject button....

ANy suggestions?
Any similar issues with G Tech brand?
Should I get another type of drive?

Thanks
Re: OT: G-Drive Raid doesn't show up any more
April 22, 2011 12:18AM
G-Tech drives have been considered less than ideal for a while now, but four days is pretty pathetic. My last G-Raid had some issues two days after initial purchase, but after doing a format, Disk Utility repair and DiskWarrior rebuild on it, it hasn't had a problem. I have four other G-Raids that have had zero issues. It doesn't mean you couldn't have received a lemon, but it does make me suspect something wrong with your setup.

By virtue of being a RAID0, of course, those drives are always going to have a substantially higher risk factor.

www.derekmok.com
April 22, 2011 12:27AM
That's what I suspect too....
Two drives that last 4 days each!!!!

I've had issues I believe with the port on my MBP... The drives sometimes don't show as if the port was bad... But could this "kill" 2 drives?!

So Derek how do you save your work? Meaning I am now very paranoid. Do you back up everything on a 2nd and 3rd drive?
April 22, 2011 12:46AM
> I've had issues I believe with the port on my MBP... The drives sometimes
> don't show as if the port was bad... But could this "kill" 2 drives?!

Oh yeah. I haven't seen it for a while, but in my earliest days of using FireWire drives, one device affected all the others. At our film school, we had Sony DSR-20 decks with auto-power-off functions that couldn't be disabled, and whenever they turned off, they'd fry any and all FireWire 400 drives that were connected at the same time. That was fixable by DiskWarrior, but it also taught me that it's all for one, one for all on a FireWire bus.

> So Derek how do you save your work? Meaning I am now very paranoid. Do
> you back up everything on a 2nd and 3rd drive?

I do it the old-fashioned way. When I have timecoded tapes, and not too many of them, I batch-captured everything. I do project-file backups every two to three hours. Anything shorter than that, Autosave would cover.

With too much media, or now in the tapeless age, I backup camera masters and converted clips to three copies including the active copy. In terms of file management, my projects tend to be narrative-type -- as in, one big batch of footage comes in and that's it for the next few months. In that scenario, backups are enough. The only things that get changed daily in my projects tend to be the project file and movie files (which are easily re-created with project files intact), so I can use RAID0s and JBODs with impunity. My OCD backup routine covers me.

If you work the kind of project where large files are captured, imported, renewed or produced all the time (eg. documentary, reality, FX and graphics), you need a RAID5 setup with redundancy, plus regular backups to separate non-active drives. Losing just 20 minutes of work in those scenarios can be crippling. Storage space is so cheap these days that there's no good reason not to. And Murphy's Law applies -- when you're ready for meltdowns, they won't happen. But when you're not, they'll come.

www.derekmok.com
April 22, 2011 10:00AM
First...contact the G-Raid company Support (don't even know who owns them anymore), get that mounted, get your stuff off of there, get them to replace it because there's obviously something wrong with it, then when you get the replacement, post it on ebay as NEW and get rid of it. "G-Raids are less than ideal" is an understatement. They stink.

I don't see much tape anymore. My work files are given to me from a Ki Pro via FW800. I personally use a CalDigit VR (RAID 1) for a work drive and back everything up to a NewerTech Guardian Maximus. Looking at buying an LTO 5 Tape Backup system for that final layer of protection. Doing more research.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 22, 2011 12:26PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> [...] so I
> can use RAID0s and JBODs with impunity.
>

JBODs?....

> you need a RAID5 setup with redundancy,
>

is this really cheap?

> Storage space is so cheap these days
>
April 22, 2011 12:28PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I personally
> use a CalDigit VR (RAID 1) for a work drive and
> back everything up to a NewerTech Guardian
> Maximus. Looking at buying an LTO 5 Tape Backup
> system for that final layer of protection. Doing
> more research.

Thx!
UPDATE: OT: G-Drive Raid doesn't show up any more
April 22, 2011 12:32PM
So I took my drive to work today.
At first it behaved like it did on my MBP last night: not showing on the desktop. Visible in Disk Utility but the Verify and Repair buttons were greyed out.
Then I clicked Eject from the same Disk Uitlity window and nothing seemed to happen until a minute or so later the drive showed up on the desktop.
Needless to say that it was like seeing a new born popping out so I jumped on my other drive and backed up the media.

Now I wonder if using the drives with a MBP could be an issue?....

Derek and Grafixjoe, do you think it's ok to post as new topic to see if others experienced this issue?
Re: UPDATE: OT: G-Drive Raid doesn't show up any more
April 22, 2011 12:48PM
actually this is a known problem
[forums.creativecow.net]
April 22, 2011 01:56PM
Nope...never an issue on my 17" Macbook Pro with / CalDigit VR. It shows up every time...period. The only drive units I have ever had problems with mounting were G-RAIDs and LaCie D2s...and they are out of my life forever thumbs down

April 22, 2011 02:03PM
Alright I need to check out the price on these CalDigit VR.
Can't live with that pressure of "is it going to mount or is it not?"

Thx
April 22, 2011 02:10PM
This is what I have:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

$100.00 off right now!! You can swap sleds for larger drive units. VERY DEPENDABLE FOR ME.

April 22, 2011 02:16PM
This is nice.
Also came across this Caldigit VR mini, 1TB plus free 500Gb drive and free case for $279....
[www.caldigit.com]
April 22, 2011 03:12PM
Got to take drive issues with a grain of salt. I use G-Tech and have for years with no issues. Same with lots of people. If and when there is an issue with a drive, and there usually will be with ALL drives no matter what brand, a call to support will often solve it. If support does not come through then THATS an issue. Not the drive.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 22, 2011 04:30PM
Sorry Mike...beg to differ. G-Tech was on point with Customer Service. My unit kept failing / would not mount. They had to send a new unit...that again failed a few months later. There is no "3 strike rule" in my book when it comes to drives - I don't have the bandwidth for that. Sure all drives will fail eventually...it getting the ones that fail LESS FREQUENTLY that I recommend.

May 07, 2011 11:50PM
I've always been a big G-Tech fan until I purchased the G-Raid mini. So happy to have this great little drive I could put into my backpack and take on the road to edit. Worked great for 3 months and now it's failing regularly and losing footage, backed-up of course but still a pain. Perfect timing with a week long mobile gig coming up. I'm going to have to grab a CalDigit VR mini for this one. Anybody have experience with the VR Mini's?
May 07, 2011 11:54PM
Nope. I don't use bus powered drives for anything except transporting files.

May 08, 2011 12:09AM
I believe the min's come with a power supply too. You can definitely get more bang for the buck on the VR's but I'm really liking the size of the VR mini.
May 08, 2011 12:39AM
A lot of bus powered drives come with power supplies. It's the size that worries me. There is not a lot of air flow through the cabinet on those tiny drives and heat = death for hard drives. I'll stick to the VRs...for now (SSD RAIDs are interesting me lately...).

May 08, 2011 09:23PM
Yep SSD RAID sounds good to me! Have you seen the VR next to a VR Mini? Is there much difference in size? Really the small size is what is drawing me towards the purchase but if there really isn't much of a difference I could see going towards the VR. Gotta make the buy Monday for this gig starting next Sunday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics