OT: NEX VG10/FCP

Posted by Adage12 
OT: NEX VG10/FCP
April 27, 2011 08:50AM
I have been using HVX 200 for some time now. But some of my upcoming work is requiring me to use DSLR. I came across a NEX VG10 by Sony which, by price comparison is much cheaper and seems to do the job. Just wondering if anyone here has used this and what's their opinion. Even though its AVCHD, any special cautions/precautions with FCP?
Re: OT: NEX VG10/FCP
April 29, 2011 11:42AM
i opted for this camera over the 7 and 5d, being interested in it for video, not stills - but then the res is so good you can just export frames from your timeline. also not having to do a voodoo dance backwards to get it to behave like a video camera is nice.

yes the 5 and 7d's can capture great stuff, fine, but this sony sensor is only a fraction smaller than the 5d and the depth of field capability and performance with the stock lens was amazing, the footage i shot could easily be mistaken for 5 or 7d - because it looks just as good - especially once you've finished the grade of course as with all footage. the dof performance is awesome.

there are some myths regards the frame rates capable, just 25/24 etc - a little google digging will tell you the score on that - or check out the vimeo user group. there is a way to transcode it - i just used the anusoft converter to prores the rushes, no problems at all and great looking footage.

the sound is incredible, the picture superb, great blacks and mids, the highlights blow out easy but this isn't a RED Epic so, hey.

something else i've noticed is that, as i would describe it, the camera seems to be really good at picking up natural light in the mid-ground, the sun and other light reflecting off cars for example, mid-depth in frame.

also on the 5 days shoot i was out in snow, night, bright sun - and using both manual controls and auto the footage was great every time, excellent performance especially at night - i believe there are samples of it used auto and raw on youtube.

i believe the stats on the sensor are that its about 19-20 times bigger than that of an hd camcorder, something like that. you may also be interested in looking up more about it's audio capabilities, as unlike the 7d etc you don't have to run circles round a sacred cow twice and sneeze 5 times just to get it to behave the slightest bit like a video camera.

the only negative (if it's an issue for your planned shots) is of course rolling shutter, slower pans work best but thats something to deal with on many other cameras including the 5 a 7d. i got the camera for use as a run 'n gun mainly, having so far shot just with 100% natural light. i like it a lot.

all the best,
Bluey
April 30, 2011 01:18PM
Thx for the info. I really like the price of this camera for the features it offers. I use ShotputPro from time to time. But I can just use log and capture and it will ingest in prores since the main use of this camera will be to collect b-roll. I notice it doesn't have an XLR output but I can use an XLR adapter. Any idea of the sound quality from an XLR?

Thx.
May 01, 2011 04:48AM
nope but if you do stumble upon any such info please do PM me or leave it here,

all the very best,
Bluey,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics