how can I create a custom transition using my own keyframes?

Posted by eliselondon 
how can I create a custom transition using my own keyframes?
May 06, 2011 04:26PM
I have hundreds of clips of different lengths, each of which requires the same exact transition at the head, and then in reverse at the tail.
I have not found the transition that I need that is already built, but it is pretty easy for me to keyframe.
So I would like to keyframe this transition on and transition off, and then create two custom transitions from each of these sets of keyframes.

I know that you can create custom transitions from filters, so why not from keyframes? So far I have done lots of research, found nothing. But it makes no sense! Why shouldn't you be able to create a transition from keyframes?! :-)

Is this possible? Thanks so much!!
Re: how can I create a custom transition using my own keyframes?
May 06, 2011 09:44PM
If I follow you correctly, you can just copy paste the motion attribute, and don't use 'scale attribute times' to make the transition happen at the same pace for every clip.

May 07, 2011 03:55AM
the "scale attribute times" thing is good and bad

GOOD
one simple copy/paste does the trick.
if your clips are all about the same duration, the keyframe transitions will be very similar

BAD
if your clips have very different duration's, then scaling the motion effect will give you longer or shorter lengths on the transitions.

another approach to the problem is to create a MOTION FAVORITE from the 1st keyframe transition you created.
select the clip in the timeline,
then go to Effects Menu > Make Favorite Motion (or control f)

now open your favourites bin in the effects tab.
there'll be a small green & black thing in there with the name of the clip. it's a saved Motion Path
you can drag and drop that Motion Path onto other clips in the timeline. and they will adopt those motion effects.

you can program a keyboard shortcut that will apply motion paths to selected clips.
you can assign 8 motion paths to keystrokes.
(the Motion Paths are assigned to the keystrokes according to the alphabetical order of the Motion Paths in the Favorites bin,
so numbering them can be useful.

you don't have an option to scale the effect this way.
and i cant remember if t scales or not, sorry.

nick
May 07, 2011 04:41AM
What transition effect are you keyframing?

If it is simply a custom fade, you could use Digital Heaven's free DH_Fade filter on each generator. You set the number of frames to fade in and out for each clip - whatever the length.

It might be possible to create a similar filter for a transition of your choice.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
May 07, 2011 06:19AM
Maybe this can help give you some extra ideas:
[web.me.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics