Best quality file for delivery

Posted by xavpil 
Best quality file for delivery
May 16, 2011 10:02PM
My project is 1280 x 720, 29.97.
I need to export my final cut for my client to be able to play it from his computer connected to a projector or a TV.
I am a little confused since when choosing Export / Quicktime file it gives me a file with the FCP logo which can not be played by all computers.
Any suggestion welcome.

Also, does the file has to be the best possible if played from a client's computer, which isn't always the most powerful. Isn't there a risk that the playback malfunctions?

Thx

Xavier
Re: Best quality file for delivery
May 16, 2011 10:06PM
> I am a little confused since when choosing Export / Quicktime file it gives me a file with
> the FCP logo which can not be played by all computers.

All that means is that the default application on your computer was set to use FCP to open QuickTime movies. Select the file, press COMMAND-I and change the default application to QuickTime Player.

If your client can't play the file, the problem is somewhere else. Are you using ProRes or DVCPro HD? Those are two codecs that "normal" non-production computers don't have.

> does the file has to be the best possible if played from a client's computer, which isn't
> always the most powerful. Isn't there a risk that the playback malfunctions?

"Quality" is only part of the equation. There are many codecs which have a high bit rate, but are not taxing on a computer. For example, H.264s get unwieldy at very high bit rates, but DVCPro HD is very light, even though DVCPro HD would yield much larger files. The only way to know is to test.

www.derekmok.com
May 16, 2011 10:34PM
derekmok Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------
> . Are you using ProRes or DVCPro
> HD? Those are two codecs that "normal"
> non-production computers don't have.

I batch export without chging the settings. My media is prores.

> ", but DVCPro HD is very light, even though DVCPro HD would yield much
> larger files.

Just to comfirm i got it right even though you say dvcpro are easy on the computer for playback they can not be played on all computers?
May 16, 2011 10:47PM
> Just to comfirm i got it right even though you say dvcpro are easy on the computer for
> playback they can not be played on all computers?

DVCPro HD is a format we editors almost take for granted, because it comes with the FCP package. But other Macs have to download a Panasonic plugin to play them.

How long is your show? I think it might be overkill to give clients a file in ProRes. You're giving yourself headaches in delivery and storage on that end, where an H.264 file can just be FTP-ed to the client.

www.derekmok.com
May 16, 2011 11:02PM
It's a 3 min sizzle.
What H264 settings would you suggest so they can play on a TV via a laptop
May 16, 2011 11:11PM
Test it. See what you're happy with.

www.derekmok.com
May 16, 2011 11:16PM
It's a 30 minute export so I was trying not to have to do trail and error.
I used the Compressor setting. I'm sure it'll be fine

THanks
May 16, 2011 11:40PM
Thirty minutes for a three-minute piece? That's insane. Tried MPEG Streamclip? That should take only two, maybe five minutes.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics