OLD MOVIES SOUNDTRACK

Posted by slomoray 
OLD MOVIES SOUNDTRACK
May 18, 2011 12:47PM
Hi,
I'm doing a personal FCP project that is suppose to look like an old movie. I've added the video filter to give it that old film look, but I was wondering if I should do something to the audio tracks to give it an old movie sound? Does this question make sense, or is audio sounding normal okay? Thanks for any help you can give me. You ar ethe best.

Ray
Re: OLD MOVIES SOUNDTRACK
May 18, 2011 01:08PM
Google search for projector sound, old record skip, etc, etc
Lots of free resources out there such as.....

[www.freesound.org]

slomoray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> I'm doing a personal FCP project that is suppose
> to look like an old movie. I've added the video
> filter to give it that old film look, but I was
> wondering if I should do something to the audio
> tracks to give it an old movie sound? Does this
> question make sense, or is audio sounding normal
> okay? Thanks for any help you can give me. You ar
> ethe best.
>
> Ray
May 18, 2011 06:58PM
Also, have a listen to some movies from the era you are trying to represent. Check out prelinger.com - the internet archive section. Probably the kind of thing you would need would be a bit of hiss and crackle, and to make the whole thing a little bit muddy. Precision audio is the child of modern times.

May 18, 2011 07:06PM
> Does this question make sense, or is audio sounding normal okay?

No, it's not okay. Audio is in many ways even more immediate than video. Just check out a silent film on DVD sometime. Many DVDs neglect to try to get across a "vintage"-sounding soundtrack (because these old films often had no soundtracks -- in their time, they had a live orchestra playing the music score as the film played), and it immediately feels wrong, like your eyes are perceiving one era but your ears are stuck in another.

Hisses and crackles are a matter of taste -- some filmmakers believe these are not true to what a film's contemporary viewers might have heard. But EQing and mixing will help. Older recordings have a warmer sound, less pristine trebles, more reverb, and often a "boominess" in the recording and mixing. Even more importantly, you have to avoid the antiseptic quality of studio-recorded voice-overs, dialogue, ambience and music. Audio that sounds like it's recorded with a completely dry microphone right next to the source, which is not the sound of old movies. I've seen many silent films that sound like their modern re-recorded score was done using a MIDI keyboard rather than a real piano, and it ruins the experience.

www.derekmok.com
May 18, 2011 08:31PM
there is a very cool FREE audio filter yuo can get for FCP called "Vinyl"
you can make your audio sound retro very easliy.

it's from iZotope

one small gotcha:
after you install this, you then need to get a code from them (they will email it to you).
without this code you wont be able to open FCP,
so get the code before you install.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics