Edit share vs. Unity

Posted by hamaca 
Edit share vs. Unity
May 27, 2011 01:19AM
Hi All!

I don´t know where else to put it so I post it here.
I have to make a decision to buy edit share or unity storage. I know Unity for 10 years now and I really like it when it comes to AVID editing, but it is pest with final cut. The edit share guys say AVID and FCP editing - even project sharing - is fine with their tool. I had a demo looked all fine, did anyone try it in production?

The show I´m planning is a reality show with about 600 - 700hrs of footage 12 prime time shows total, weekly, starting september. Oh and it´s SD from Digi Beta tape! The prime time show is to be done in AVID but internet collaterals, DVDs are to be done in FCP (on the same boxes) and I want to use qmaster clusters for rendering wich do work in a "Unity world" (don´t try it in XSANs!) will they work in edit share?
I also want to try the new AJA I/O express for AVID and FCP. The last question is are there known issues with MC5.5 on Mac plattform?

Feedback is very welcome!

cheers
hamaca (swinging a bit faster this autumn)
Re: Edit share vs. Unity
May 27, 2011 01:15PM
Why are you using another NLE...on the same computer...to do the collateral material? Why not use Avid, have access to ALL the same media? Keep things simple.

Avid 5.5 runs great on the mac platform...I have had no issues. And the AJA IO Express works great too.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 30, 2011 06:15AM
good point! My idea is to get the collaterals done from color corrected cleanfeed SCQT that no ungraded, unapproved material gets edited by the internet people.
But I guess you are right it´s to complicated and I´ll end up shifting it all into the avid...over a weekend...

Any edit share experience?
May 30, 2011 09:38PM
As much as I have wanted to use Edit Share, I never had the opportunity to do so.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics