.AVI to FCP trimmed & then to the web

Posted by bluey 
.AVI to FCP trimmed & then to the web
June 01, 2011 10:56AM
Hi champs - does anyone know the best method for converting avi files for trimming in FCP, and to then be uploaded to the web? (both youtube and the largest possible vimeo display) . .

Many thanks!
Bluey
Re: .AVI to FCP trimmed & then to the web
June 01, 2011 11:31AM
MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert them to an editing format. If SD, then DV/NTSC or DV50...or ProRes NTSC. If HD size, then ProRes.

And then compress as H.264...there are Presets in Compressor for Youtube.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 01, 2011 11:52AM
cheers shane, only when i import it into streamclip i only have audio and the view is white, i get both visual and audio when viewing in vlc play though . . ideas?

Bluey,
June 01, 2011 11:58AM
Install VLC player...that allows your Mac to see more file types.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 01, 2011 12:02PM
yep i have vlc - except i don't see how to export to a quicktime format?

Bluey,
June 01, 2011 12:06PM
You don't use VLC to play the footage. It just adds more codecs or the ability to read more codecs to the system.

If you still can't see the file... then I am out of suggestions. Ask for a different format from the client...one that you can work with.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 01, 2011 12:12PM
adding more codecs to which system?

the avi plays in vlc fine, except there doesn't seem to be an export option to any QT format, that i can see.

and in streamclip all the export options are there, but the image is just white, with audio - the picture is missing.

in your initial reply you suggested to use streamclip to convert the avi file/s to an editable format in FCP such as ProRes then out to h264.

i am perplexed that the visual isn't showing up in streamclip and just the audio is, obviously i need both to export the piece to the editable format . .

Bluey,
June 01, 2011 12:26PM
I have never had a problem loading an avi file into QT Pro.
Export as ProRes 422.
Edit in FCP.
Export in ProRes 422.
Convert to FLV in Adobe Encoder.
(Or AnyVideoConverter for Mac ((this is the name of the freeware)))

bluey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> adding more codecs to which system?
>
> the avi plays in vlc fine, except there doesn't
> seem to be an export option to any QT format, that
> i can see.
>
> and in streamclip all the export options are
> there, but the image is just white, with audio -
> the picture is missing.
>
> in your initial reply you suggested to use
> streamclip to convert the avi file/s to an
> editable format in FCP such as ProRes then out to
> h264.
>
> i am perplexed that the visual isn't showing up in
> streamclip and just the audio is, obviously i need
> both to export the piece to the editable format .
> .
>
>
> Bluey,
June 01, 2011 12:30PM
>adding more codecs to which system?

The OPERATING system. Your computer.

>the avi plays in vlc fine, except there doesn't seem to be an export option to any QT format, that i can see.

Correct. VLC Player is just that, a PLAYER. You cannot convert or export from VLC. It is just suggested to install VLC so that it can add more translation ability to formats in OTHER converters, like MPEG STREAMCLIP. It is a background app in that case...support app only.

>and in streamclip all the export options are there, but the image is just white, with audio - the picture is missing.

Then you cannot convert it. VLC will play it, as it can translate the codec. But it cannot add that translation/codec to the system. This is true a lot of the time.

>in your initial reply you suggested to use streamclip to convert the avi file/s to an editable format in FCP such as ProRes then out to h264.

Yes. Because FCP really only works with certain codecs...quicktime codecs. YOu cannot edit AVI's in FCP. Well, MOST AVI's. And the fact that VLC is the only thing that can see these files...well...that's a problem. You need different source footage that you can work with...or to use a different editing application that will edit those files.

>i am perplexed that the visual isn't showing up in streamclip and just the audio is, obviously i need both to export the piece to the editable format . .

It means they are in a codec that the MacOS cannot view without specific help. That help is VLC...but VLC cannot export. Therefore you need different source footage...a different codec. That is up to your client to supply. Or you need a different editing app...as FCP wont' work.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 01, 2011 12:31PM
I have never had a problem loading an avi file into QT Pro.

Mark...AVIs are like QTs...just a container. They can be one of DOZENS of codecs. XVID, MP4, dozens more. The codecs you are working with are viewable by the mac...not all of them are. Obviously the OP has a codec that doesn't work.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics