MPEG Streamclip converting questions

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
MPEG Streamclip converting questions
June 02, 2011 01:53PM
I'm trying to figure out if it is possible for MPEG Streamclip to batch convert a bunch of video clips (say, from a Canon 7D) directly to an MPEG-2 file.

I use it all the time for converting the 7D footage to ProRes, but there times when I just want to make a straight DVD of the footage, and it seems to be impractical to convert all the footage to ProRes first, then converting to an MPEG-2 for DVD.

This is mostly when I have hundreds of little video clips that I want to play one after another, and to individually convert them to MPEG-2 through Compressor, and then dropping each file onto a track in DVD Studio Pro...well, it would take a very long time to do, and I'm trying to figure a way to streamline the process.

If MPEG Streamclip could join all the files into a single MPEG-2, that would be something...but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that, and if that is even possible.

Thanks!
Casey Petersen
Re: MPEG Streamclip converting questions
June 02, 2011 02:03PM
MPEG Streamclip doesn't export to MPEG-2. Compressor does.

> it seems to be impractical to convert all the footage to ProRes first, then converting to an
> MPEG-2 for DVD.

Then why go to ProRes at all? Put the H.264 clips into Compressor and choose a DVD preset. Just drop all the files onto the same track back-to-back in DVD Studio Pro.

www.derekmok.com
June 02, 2011 02:20PM
Yeah...that's my point about ProRes, it is redundant.

I can put all the H.264 clips into Compressor, but then I end up with hundreds of MPEG-2 files to drag and drop onto the same track back-to-back in DVD Studio Pro.

The attractive feature in MPEG Streamclip (when creating ProRes) is the ability to join all the clips together. What I have done is convert them all to a single ProRes file, then encode that to MPEG-2 and drop that single clip into DVD Studio Pro. What I'm looking for is a better way to do this...to avoid an extra conversion step, but also avoid dropping hundreds of clips into DVD Studio Pro.

Is there a better way to quickly create a DVD from all these H.264 clips?

Thanks!
Casey
June 02, 2011 03:09PM
You could line them up in an H.264 sequence in FCP, and export a reference QT movie, and encode that in Compressor to Mpeg2. Not sure if the export will be reliable. I know QT Sync will let you combine QT movies, but it's essentially the same operation.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics