SYNC problems with LCD SONY BRAVIA monitor

Posted by Tania 
SYNC problems with LCD SONY BRAVIA monitor
June 05, 2011 11:17PM
Hi,
I have a SONY 46 inch LCD screen as well as a 30 inch MAC monitor.
I'm running FCP 7.03 on MAC OS X 10.6.7.
A 12 core processor, 24GB memory with a SSD disc.
Am currently working on a feature film. Shooting on Canon 7D @ 23.976fps
and am finding the sync between the two screens are very different.
We watch Rushes(dailies) on the SONY LCD.
I've been told:

The issue is with the delay it takes the TV to process the HDMI signal through the Bravia. This takes between 1 & 2 frames to do this.
If you were running a broadcast SDI monitor or a broadcast panel with HDMI this would have less than 1 frame of latency which would not be noticeable.
The reason this didn?t happen or was less noticeable with you older setup as it was running component and was only an SD card which processes faster.
As for a fix for this, using a Television as a monitor will not ever be in perfect sync with whats on your computer screen for the canvas window to match the TV, the only thing you can do is delay the audio which goes to the speakers as this is just ahead of the video on the Bravia.

This can only be adjusted using the delay within FCP.
Generally speaking, editors use the computer and a broadcast monitor to work with and then the client monitor (bravia) is a frame or two out of sync with this type of setup.
Without spending mega $$ you cant get a big broadcast monitor, 24? is the standard working size and these all run around $4000-$6000. If it would help you I could loan you a reference monitor for the next 2 weeks but need it back before the 14th of June as it is going interstate for a long term hire. This would have no delay and would run over SDI. Sync would be spot on.
IS there any other solution please?

In the mean time you will need to adjust the audio delay settings within FCP. Anywhere between 2 & 6 frames should be fine.

IS this the only option?
Re: SYNC problems with LCD SONY BRAVIA monitor
June 06, 2011 07:25AM
Well, I have kind of the same set-up and my solution was to run the video and audio out of a Matrox MXO2 via HDMI to the Sony Bravia. Then cable the audio from the Sony Bravia to your mixer/speakers. This will eliminate any latency while monitoring from the Sony. I then use the SDI from the MXO2 to my broadcast FYI monitor and cable the audio from the MXO2 output directly to the mixer/speakers when editing.
This eliminates the HDMI latency. Hope that helps.

Tom
June 06, 2011 09:43AM
Good point in running the audio from the Bravia. Also, if the OP is feeding the HDMI to the Bravia from the computer's graphics card, this should be avoided. I'm not sure if monitoring from both feeds simultaneously will work, as there may be latency, but in most cases very distracting.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 06, 2011 10:08AM
I have to Matrox MXO2 mini via HDMI to the Sony Bravia. I have the same sync problem so I run the audio from the Bravia. I guess that's all you can do.
June 06, 2011 08:09PM
I can't express how grateful I am for the information and support from this site
and especially from Strypes, Tom and Russ. It's a small very friendly world from my little world in Adelbrain.
Very useful information.
I have a choice to purchase the equivalent of a Matrox MXO2 or run the audio out of
the Bravia. Which path better supports sound quality? The sound recordist needs
to hear the days rushes (dailies) play correctly.

Also is there a cheaper option to the Matrox? Have spent loads of money setting up this system.

Thanks again
June 06, 2011 10:52PM
Don't you already have an IO device?

You can look at this:

[www.blackmagic-design.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
June 07, 2011 12:24AM
I'm curious about the Bravia models. I'm looking at a 40" as a consumer output-client monitor. I'm looking for the sweet spot of:

- 120 Hz
- Bravia 3 engine
- antiglare screen
- thin bezel

I'm looking at other brands too; Samsung has a very pretty model.

I guess the latency issue via HDMI can't be escaped, eh?

---

@ Tom Jackson:

[I then use the SDI from the MXO2 to my broadcast FYI monitor and cable the audio from the MXO2 output directly to the mixer/speakers when editing. ]

Tom, does this setup describe a way to switch audio from one display set to the other?

How is the video and audio fed out from the computer- PCIe Blackmagic or AJA card? Is the MXO2 critical?

TIA

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option - R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 07, 2011 01:42AM
Sound is running through the BLACKMAGIC HD extreme card
June 07, 2011 01:54AM
I rang Blackmagic (NEW MAGIC) and they said I don't need a MATROX MXO2. Good for me becasue I can't afford it but thanks for the suggestion. I know a little more...

Another answer:
Simple answer is you can send audio & video out of the blackmagic card you are currently using through HDMI. Then play this audio through the TV and loop out to your speakers via 3.5mm out to 2 x RCA,s then convert these to XLR for your speakers.

This will have no delay but your audio will still be out by 2 frames on your computer screen, your TV Monitor will be correct though.
The matrox will not help at all as it still processes through the TV which is where the delay is as the TV will always take 2 frames to process an image going through it. Component might be 1frame instead.

There's a coaxial connection in the back of the TV. Can I go coaxial out of the TV to the back of the speakers or via an AMP to the back of the speakers? I want to stay in the digital world...no analogue.

Thanks
Tania

T
June 07, 2011 07:44AM
Loren:

Yes, this allows you to use the mixer to determine the audio output for each display. HDMI output from the Bravia or MXO2 output for the SDI pro monitor and each will be in sync with themselves.

The audio and video are both fed from the computer to the MXO2 since it has both HDMI and SDI outs. Never had the opportunity to use Blackmagic or AJA yet.

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics