Markers discard TC info?

Posted by Tom Sanders 
Markers discard TC info?
July 13, 2011 06:44PM
I have an audio file. I use markers to log several takes within it. I double click a marker to load a take into the viewer and cut it into a sequence. Later, I return to the clip in the seq to make a note of which take I used... And there seems to be no way to determine which marker the clip came from. The timecode for this 'sub clip' (I didn't explicitly convert markers to sub clips, so I wasn't expecting it to be treated as such) has timecode which starts at zero. Regardless of whether I match clip from the clip in the timeline or double click it, I get a sub clip in the viewer with tc starting at zero -- ie, no reference whatsoever to the master clip from which it came.

Is there a way I can use markers to mark takes and be able to trace the resulting clips back to their origins?
Re: Markers discard TC info?
July 13, 2011 06:55PM
Yea, audio files usually have no timecode track. You can try using "modify> timecode" to enable the timecode track (which you can do for wav, not sure about aiff).

www.strypesinpost.com
July 13, 2011 06:59PM
These tracks are from a protools session and they have timecode, which I've been making use of. In what way do I need to enable the tc in order for the markers to be aware of it?
July 13, 2011 07:38PM
are the files AIFFs or WAVs?
as Strypes said, AIFFs don't always carry or retain their TC in FCP

in the browser, give each clip a reel number.
that will create a TC track in the file,
and your subs will not all start at zero.

before you do too much work, quit FCP, and re-start it.
check the reel# is still there.

it's volatile in AIFFs in my experience.

nick
July 13, 2011 07:41PM
These tracks are from a protools session and they have timecode, which I've been making use of (ie, in my bins, the TC appears in the Media Start column). In what way do I need to enable the tc in order for it not to be 'forgotten' after editing from markers?

(that's weird, my message appeared, disappeared and reappeared; sorry it's now here twice or something)
July 14, 2011 01:20AM
as i say, give each clip a reel# in the browser.

if the clips are not broadcast wav files....
safest way i know of would be to place each clip in a timeline, and export it as a QuickTime Movie, Audio only.
this will have a rock-solid TC track
re-import the files, open them in the viewer, go to Modify Menu > Timecode,
and give them a reel# and match the TC to the original file.

THEN reconnect your original files to these new exports.
it's safest to do any reconnecting in a copy of the project.

if your project is short term, then you may find you can get by working with just the originals.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics