capturing AVI's

Posted by Bob DeSena 
capturing AVI's
July 18, 2011 08:17PM
Can someone help me with this. After I import AVI's shot from either a Nikon D3 Or D7000 and put them in to my timeline, I always have to render the clip. Even when I modify it by adding a transition, I have to continuously re-render them. Is there an option in the settings to avoid this? Currently I have "all formats" selected in my easy set-up option. Any advise is appreciated!!!
Re: capturing AVI's
July 18, 2011 08:23PM
It's much better to transcode them to something FCP prefers, like ProRes before import. You can use a free piece of software called Mpeg Streamclip to do this, although I have a sneaking feeling you also have to download something like Perian (also free on the net) to work with AVIs.

July 18, 2011 08:23PM
As far back as I can remember, FCP hasn't liked AVIs. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any version of FCP being able to work with AVIs without rendering.

Convert the files to ProRes first, using Compressor. Be careful to choose all the settings to match what you shot (frame size, frame rates etc.). I don't know if Nikon has a plugin for FCP (as Canon does) that would convert the files with all settings intact. After all, Canon went with H.264 QuickTime, much more Mac-friendly than AVIs.

www.derekmok.com
July 18, 2011 09:30PM
Thank you so much for the advise!! this gives me an idea of which direction to go with. I have Amirsoft Total Media Converter and what I'll do is load all the AVI's and batch convert them to MOV's. Then I'll import them to FCP. I was thinking I had to change something in my settings. I'll also look in to Perian as well.
July 18, 2011 10:29PM
I have no idea what Amirsoft media convertor is, but I'd be a bit wary if it's one of those spam advertised ones. Mpeg Streamclip and Compressor are both free (one is already installed in your computer) and they can both hit the exact mark you're looking for.

It's a good idea to convert the files into whatever it is you want to output at the end of the project, to avoid rendering. If the files match your timeline correctly, you won't have to render.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics