Now that Final Cut Server is EOL...

Posted by qeditor 
Now that Final Cut Server is EOL...
July 22, 2011 01:21PM
this is what I am considering recommending to my client for their shared video production needs:

[www.apple.com]
Re: Now that Final Cut Server is EOL...
July 22, 2011 02:06PM
Well yeah, why not?. It's a digital asset management system, not a shared media storage system.

We run CatDV on a Mac Mini Server here and it's brilliant.

I know a lot of folks who think that Final Cut Server is a shared media storage system, but it never was. It was always just digital asset management which can operate on an iMac or MacMini or even a laptop if need be.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 22, 2011 08:52PM
Thanks Walter. That was my understanding as well...
July 24, 2011 03:48AM
The MacMini makes a great online server for hosting files for client approvals. You might also have a look at an app called AjaXplorer (has nothing to do with Aja or Explorer). It's free. It's web-based (i.e. no FTP tools required), and simple to use. Great thing is, if you set it up right, you can eliminate your upload times. We use drop-boxes to send files to the Mini internally (usually h264's), and then just drag the files to the AjaXplorer file manager and they're online instantly. You can also manage accounts, assign priviledges, and monitor client activity very easily. The setup is a bit tricky, you might need an IT person for about half a day for the install, but once it's up and running, a huge time-saver.

hth,
Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics