Can't Trim When Zoomed in on 28 minute timeline

Posted by drtuzi 
Can't Trim When Zoomed in on 28 minute timeline
August 02, 2011 09:45PM
Brand-spanking new imac 3.4 GHz i7 with 16 GB ram
Latest version Snow Leopard
latest (or last) version FCP 7

When I do shift-Z and can see the entire show in the timeline - I can click around without delay

but when I need to fine tune something and zoom in close enough to trim effectively - everything bogs down

I click, wait for the beach ball, wait some more - the playhead moves

Hit the left arrow key, wait.......wait for it .......new frame. (sometimes as long as 30 seconds)

We are editing 1080i on a network, but the other editor's 2 year old iMac 3.06 GHz core duo isn't choking when it opens the same projects and works on the sequence with the final assembly of the half hour show.

I've copied the RT settings (and tried every other RT variation possible) and nothing speeds it up when zoomed in

If I break the show into shorter act-length sequences, I can trim no problem - (so it's probably not the difference in ethernet controller between the CD and i7 - everything plays back fine over the network) but with timing and final output - I need to load the whole show and be able to zoom in and out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
Re: Can't Trim When Zoomed in on 28 minute timeline
August 02, 2011 09:53PM
Never mind!

Continued my searching and found this

[discussions.apple.com]

go figure - extending marker durations (very useful when timing a show) make it impossible to trim the show to the proper length.
August 03, 2011 06:14PM
hey dtuzi.

yes, i would have suggested the issue was with extended markers.
i have noticed that, too.

good news is there is a better solution than simply NOT extending them.

open Edit Menu > Project Properties.

in this window you can choose to show or hide your markers, based on their colour.
when i noticed the issue i was using different coloured markers for different things: Orange signified a VFX shot, for instance, and was extended.
so i could simple turn off my orange markers, and get back into trimming.

i found putting a BUTTON for Project Properties on my Timeline a bit quicker than going to the menu all the time.
a shortcut could have been even slicker!

cheers,
nick
August 11, 2011 04:12AM
thanks for the tip - I actually liked being able to see the target duration for an act

(real pity they killed the FCP beast - all this useless knowledge of its myriad quirks - 10 years of it

oh well...)

Media Composer here I come...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics