Editing with Transcoded 1080p in FCP6

Posted by Jeff Green 
Editing with Transcoded 1080p in FCP6
September 13, 2011 12:09PM
I need to edit a documentary that was shot on a Nikon DSLR, and so need to transcode the H.264 files to ProRes to edit with. I?ll be doing the transcoding on the DP?s new top of the line iMac running FCP 7 (and whatever version of Compressor came with that). But I?ll be editing on a G5 dual 2.0, running OS 10.4.11, and FCP 6.

I transcoded a couple 23.98 test files last night, using Compressor?s "ProRes for Progressive Material" preset. Once done, I checked their content, and everything looked good. I then took the ProRes files to my place, and dropped them in a timeline (in FCP 6), and let the timeline set the appropriate settings for those files. Then I checked the Sequence Settings of that sequence, and was surprised to find (in the General tab) that while the 1920x1080 frame size was correct, the Aspect Ratio said it was HDTV 1080i (16x9).

My question is -- What's with the "i" ? The source files were progressive, and the Compressor preset is ProRes for Progressive. So why does the sequence (which plays them without any rendering needed) marked with an "i" ?

Does this mean that that "i" does not mean interlaced in its use here? Or is it because I'm dropping those files into FCP 6 vs. 7, and FCP6 can't handle 1080p? Or is there something else going on? Even if the original files were interlaced (which they weren?t), I used a progressive preset to transcode to ProRes.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Re: Editing with Transcoded 1080p in FCP6
September 13, 2011 12:22PM
what is the field dominance of the clips?
you can check in the item properties for the clip, or find the field dominance column in the browser.

nick
September 13, 2011 02:00PM
Field dominance is "None"
September 13, 2011 07:51PM
then your clips are progressive.

"My question is -- What's with the "i" ?"

dunno!
it seems a silly way to label something that has nothing to to with field order.

nick
September 13, 2011 09:31PM
Thanks, Nick. Think it has to do with aspect ratio, but still (since it usually refers to Interlaced) it's strange.
September 13, 2011 09:47PM
> it seems a silly way to label something that has nothing to to with field order.

Some codecs and presets have a "p" or "i" attached to refer to certain specs. For example, if you shoot DVCPro HD at 23.98fps, progressive, after you ingest the footage, the codec shows up as "DVCPro HD 720p60". The "p60" refers to a standard of frame size associated with 60i; it doesn't mean the clip is 59.94fps.

No, it's not intuitive or logical.

www.derekmok.com
September 13, 2011 11:21PM
Yea, frame size has nothing to do with frame or field rate. Ignore that and check that the rest of the settings are good.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 14, 2011 10:14AM
FWIW...eliminate transcoding step completely and edit native DSLR footage in Premiere Pro CS5.5. If you do a lot of DSLR editing, it is a much better solution.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics