Is the other ways to Log & Transfer?

Posted by rdedits 
Is the other ways to Log & Transfer?
October 10, 2011 07:24AM
I have several producers who like to log their own footage for projects and back in the tape days that was fine but with digital files it seems like I'm always copy and pasting into Log & Transfer and than importing the clips, a lot of wasted time in my opinion. Other than giving them a copy of FCP to load their own footage onto a portable drive, is there any other work flow I can suggest to them?
Re: Is the other ways to Log & Transfer?
October 10, 2011 11:03PM
What formats are we talking about? If AVCHD, then there is ClipWrap...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 10, 2011 11:42PM
He's talking about having the producers log the clips and transferring the logging data to FCP. In the old days we'll import the text file as a batch list and recapture, but today, L&T doesn't do that. P2Log Pro does it, but it's only P2 (this inconsistency is what happens when you rely only on 3rd party solutions). I wonder if Avid MediaLog does that..

www.strypesinpost.com
October 10, 2011 11:49PM
In most cases it is XDCAM footage. Avid Media Log does not work with clips either. It seems like setting them up with a copy of FCP is the easiest way to achieve this. Does the XDCAM browser let you rename clips and save as individual media files? I haven't tried it but will take a look once I have a moment.
October 11, 2011 07:03AM
The XDCAM browser will let you rename clips as long as the disk/card lock is off.
AVID's better handling of subclips means you can import everything or just what you want, while the producer watches TC burn-in copies and makes notes or otherwise logs the footage. Then you import the log and make all the producers clips subclips of the master clips. The subclips have their names and notes and you still have everything else for when they've missed something. Throw in some custom columns mojo and they can give you a basic order of the main clips and you can have a rough assembly in a few minutes, if you have that sort of producer.

What is PremierePro's handling of subclips like? Imported logs?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 11, 2011 07:33AM
Andrew,

What kind of log would I be importing from the producer when using Avid? The XDCAM browser log?

rich
October 11, 2011 10:13AM
In an AVID based system the producer could be using AVID's Media Log , if they even still make that available. You can also make an excel spreadsheet that can be exported to a tab delimited format that can be imported into AVID using the ALE format. Best way to do that is make a bin in AVID with your required columns (name, in, out, reel etc.) including any custom headings and export it with at least one dummy clip. Open it in Excel and go.
There are excel plug-ins for timecode entry to make your life easier.
As always do a test on a few clips before committing your producer to creating logs that you might not be able to use.

This system is based on the goal of the editor getting everything into the system while AT THE SAME TIME, the producer makes selections and basic sequence notes. Very handy for interview heavy docs or anything else where there is a high volume of material that you need available all the way through editing but require someone who was either doing the interviews or at least there on the shoot to narrow it down first. In a tape based world I hated having to go back to tapes because the original capture list had been too specific. Nothing kills flow like stopping to look for footage on a one hour BetaSP. I always preferred getting as much of the footage in at a lower res and only going back to tape to res up as I got closer to pic lock.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics