Nest sequences

Posted by limakid 
Nest sequences
October 26, 2011 04:39PM
Hi everybody,

Well, I am making a documentary based on archive material (photos, videos VHS, open reel tapes, cassettes and so on...). Also I include about six interviews.

Every interviewed was edited separately (I deleted unwanted sounds, shakings, etc.), becoming each one of those interviews in one sequence. So, one edited interview is one sequence... you follow me thus far?

I don't want put the whole interviews at one time. What easy is just to drag one interview-sequence to the timeline and finish, right? But no. Here is my issue,

I take ONE interview which talks about 3 topics, A, B and C. I want to split this sequence in 3 parts, so each topic is included in different moments of the documentary. Maybe the topic C which the interviewed talk at the end, but I want to include at the begining, or just ONE SINGLE PHRASE or SMILE I want to insert in the minute 9 of the doc, you get my point?

SO, what kind of workflow you recommend me?

Is it ok to divide every interview-sequence in topics? like A, B, C in order to create SUB-sequences?

How do History Chanel or Discovery do? sad smiley

If I want to edit a nested sequence is it better to edit all, through their original clips in the original sequence? I guess that is not good to insert photos on a nested sequence becasue can confuse the matching between nested sequence and original sequence (clips), what do you think?

I also think that nested sequences are not thought to be edited on the road, we should on[video]ly add the respective transtions like dae in/out at the begining and end of every nested sequence, right?

The attached video will illustrate the issue.
Tx a lot.

OK. Thanks 4 your patiences, I wait all suggestions.
Re: Nest sequences
October 26, 2011 04:48PM
No, no, no...nesting is an extremely poor way to do this.

First of all, it's an unholy mess whenever you try to edit a nest. Nests are best used intact, unedited, either as a way to add one filter/Motion parameter to a series of clips, or to consolidate a section that you're not going to change anymore. The "mess" isn't just organizational; it's also a huge waste of system resources; every time you blade a nest into two, you're chewing up a lot of RAM.

When you were editing down the interviews themselves (into "soundbites" -- I hate that term), you can't possibly know what rhythm you'll eventually need, or whether you'll need two seconds extra to allow for a transition. If you nest, all those options are out; you can only cut out, you can't add to a clip. You can un-nest, but then what's the point of nesting in the first place?

Keep the original sequence where you had chopped up the interview bits. Use it as a "collection". Use Sequence markers and "dummy clips" (I use FCP text objects that are cleared of text, and then I change their clip name -- COMMAND-9 -- to whatever note I want written onto the timeline) to organize the footage. When you want a section in your actual editing timeline, copy and paste the actual clips. That way you still have handles, room tone and other things to work with.

www.derekmok.com
October 26, 2011 05:50PM
Yeah, I would do similar. What you have are 'selects' of each interview. Find the clip you want to use and copy-paste it to the new sequence, or (what I would do) use 'f' to match frame to the original and use that.

October 26, 2011 07:04PM
What they said. I usually mark in/out, copy, toggle sequence and paste.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics