How to collapse clips in TL

Posted by xavpil 
How to collapse clips in TL
November 12, 2011 05:23PM
I am prepping for online so now I need to clean up my timeline.
I have so many layers of video that it takes me forever to do the cleaning.
So far I've been using Shift-click-drag to bring my clips from the higher tracks to "overwrite" the clips underneath.
Is there a way to do this quicker?

Thx

Xavier
2009 MBP - FCP 7
www.xavier-pilsudski.com
Re: How to collapse clips in TL
November 12, 2011 05:40PM
Is there a reason why you need so many layers or was it just sloppy editing? For most purposes, I cant imagine how anyone cuts with BRoll on layer 10 and a talking head on layer 20. But yea, Walter Murch had quite a lot of layers on his last edit. The easiest fix for it is not to be so sloppy- select your in/out points and insert/overwrite edit into the timeline. Don't drag that Broll from the bin onto layer 10. It usually takes me no more than 5 mins to clean up my timeline. I have edits on layer 1, and coverage/reaction shots/ Brolls on layer 2.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 12, 2011 05:52PM
yeah, i get lots of layers when cutting... well a few, anyway. if i get LOTS, i tend to tidy up as i go.

why do i get layers? options, and sometimes sections that work best by slipping and sliding some clips under / over other clips.

some sections are composites, and i have to be careful not to collapse them.
lately my process when prepnig for on-line is to nest my VFX comps if VFX are being farmed out.
so i wind up with all my rough comps as sequences i can give to the VFX person, (now i can run them though auto-duck now it's free)

there is software that will do it for you:
Edit Mule's Auto Collapse
[editmule.com]

i tried a demo , and it worked on a small timeline.

nick
November 12, 2011 06:05PM
Besides editing options, there are other issues such as flash frames, and how hard it is to swap scenes around. I tend to cut on v1 with Brolls on v2, and lower thirds on 3 and up... But the other reason is that I edit with thumbnails on the clips, so I can see the shots even before I move my playhead over it. This helps me local shots faster. And for thumbnails, you need the tracks wide enough to see thumbnails...

www.strypesinpost.com
November 12, 2011 06:10PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a reason why you need so many layers or
> was it just sloppy editing? .
> The easiest fix for it is not to be so sloppy-
>

great advice, thanks! smileys with beer
November 12, 2011 06:13PM
thanks for your helpful reply Nick.
I guess we're both working on real projects that require several layers of video and probably audio. Sometimes I wish I'd still be cutting stuff where all I'd need is V1 for A Cam, V2 for B Cam and V3... for.... oh lowerthirds!! Nice...

Anyway I checked out Edit Mule and it seems very nice!
Thanks again.

Xavier
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics