Processing for DVD

Posted by preditor 
Processing for DVD
November 17, 2011 05:28PM
I'm using an older G5 tower, dual processor, to compress for DVD. A 1hr 30min program in HD 720p takes almost 11 hours to process to SD DVD, the "best quality-90min" setting. Is this normal? My Macbook Pro also takes about that long to process. I'm using 800 firewire Graids for the media. Sure seems like a lot of processing time.

Thanks!
Re: Processing for DVD
November 19, 2011 12:37PM
I did a feature on a G5 several years ago. If I remember correctly, it took around 8 hours to compress the 90 minute SD sequence, so 11 hours for an HD sequence sounds reasonable.

Here are some tweaks that may help:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Re: Processing for DVD
November 21, 2011 11:59AM
setup a Qmaster cluster between your Macbook Pro and G5, and that should help a bit. Problem is with a 720p file is that Compressor is needing to downconvert to SD size first, and then encode the MPEG-2. That's going to be a bit of a bear on any machine, but the G5 will really show its age compared to just about any modern Intel system when it comes to crunching numbers in that way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics