A Lesson on HDD's and Redundancy
November 28, 2011 03:11PM
I purchased a Seagate 1tb hdd, 1.5 years ago, for internal use. I normally use Hitachi and Samsung F-series. I ran it JOBD with media from 2 projects on it. One project was complete and the other is ongoing. Last week after finishing a project it failed.

I had no back up. So the final project was lost with its failure. Now i have to re-film and re-edit for free.

Though it has been said on this forum many times i would like to reiterate for you to EXTERNALLY run a redundant array for all critical media. The inside of a Macpro is much hotter than a external raid. even with a small fan pushing air though my mac it was still a bit hot for 4 hdds.
The other drives internal have not been effected by this extra heat yet but 2 of them are internally raided at 0 and they back-up to an external 2tb drive. But this one wasn't.

Here is the report.

Thank you for choosing our company to diagnose and evaluate your digital media.

We perform several tests in order to ensure that we have isolated a problem and have a plan as to repairing the bad drives and the array by evasive or non-invasive procedures. Keep in mind, if your HDD was diagnosed and priced, this means our engineers hold a decent confidence level on your recovery.

Visual Media Inspection
There are no signs of external physical damage.

Electrical Analysis
The PCB board has passed all preliminary tests. Pre amp chip is fully functional.

Internal Inspection
The media has suffered from a head crash.

Read/Write Head Test
The read and write test concluded that the head stack needs repair.

Spindle Motor Test
Motor has passed all tests and is spinning at the intended specified RPM.

Firmware/Logical LBA Analysis
Logical test is inconclusive due to failed head stack.

Conclusion/Solution:
As mentioned, the HDD has suffered from a failed head stack assembly. Data recovery may be possible but obviously cannot be guaranteed until the retrieval process is finished and we have a file directory tree available for verification. We must manually repair the drive, and replace the head stack, only in the worst case scenario we will perform a platter transplant. Once we have repaired all mechanical issues, we will work with fixing the service area damage & bad sectors and using our industry leading extractor tool, we will clone your drive into an image, and retrieve your data manually. Once the retrieval process is completed, we will attempt to retrieve the original file table to preserve the integrity of the data.

Our pricing is not based off of how big the drive is or how much data is stored on the drive but the amount of time it takes to recover the data, donor parts sets, clean-room hours, and the overall complexity of the case.

Your Recovery Price is: $1,695 and to begin recovery you need to make $299 as a down payment for minimum time investment into any logical reconstruction, to purchase the proper parts and components needed to assist in the recovery process and also to lower our risk factor as your data retrieval provider. The final quote is only payable once you have verified the recovered data through a link that would be sent. (***(Plus applicable local taxes)***)

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: A Lesson on HDD's and Redundancy
November 28, 2011 03:13PM
be safe out there people.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics