rendering problems 'out of memory'

Posted by tonyw 
rendering problems 'out of memory'
December 26, 2011 09:23PM
I have an apple pro res 422 project which is running 77 minutes. I am using an 8tb external drive and have about 5TB available. But now, every time I try to render I get the message 'Out of Memory'. I tried restarting FCP and this fixed it for a while then it came back. I then tried deleting all the render files, and this allowed me to re-render and continue, but now the same problem has come back and nothing I do allows me to render. I guess it is a management problem but I don't know where to go from here. Would appreciate some guidance.
Re: rendering problems 'out of memory'
December 26, 2011 10:11PM
Out of memory does not necessarily refer to drive space. It's usually RAM related. Try going into sequence settings and in the render tab, switch render precision to 8 bit YUV instead of the default high precision YUV.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 27, 2011 06:21AM
Thanks for that info. My setting was on 10 bit YUV. In the meantime I think I might have found the problem. A clip I had photoshopped was exported as a jpeg and that was not rendering. I exported it as a quicktime and tried that and was able to render. I had imagined 'out of memory' would relate to space but I can see it relates to possibly corrupt files or stills or other. If I have the problem again I will try you suggestion of 8 bit YUV. Thanks for the advice
December 27, 2011 05:12PM
You can get those warnings with over-large still image files, too,or files that are in the wrong format, such as CMYK

Nick
January 14, 2012 05:18PM
This is a bug in FCS, it has driven me batshit insane. if you re-connect the files they will render. Also turning off external monitor, particularly if you are using a matrox mini.

This happens to me with normal Proress footage with a title dissolve. Not very demanding, on a quad core Mac pro.

If you have an entire timeline that has gone bad like this create a new timeline and manually set the correct specs. Then paste the old non-rendering timeline in using shift+command and dropping on overwrite. I guess this is similar to the reconnect.

I'm not sure how much of this is voodoo, but it's getting me by.

Ethan@advantagevideosystems.com

[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
[www.imdb.com]
[ethan-editor.blogspot.com] (My Reel)

GOING TO NAB2018? USE OUR FREE CODE:LV8875
And visit our booth in South Lower Hall @ SL14916
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics