Online upload storage solution?

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Online upload storage solution?
December 30, 2011 01:33AM
Hello,

I'm starting a new gig where I will need to get footage from videographers all over the U.S. Often they will have 16-32gb of footage that they will need to send me. Instead of having them mailing it to me on a drive, there must be some online solution, where they could upload it to a secure site or "cloud" and I can download it. Preferably something where the upload/download speed is not too slow as we are dealing with a sizable amount of footage.

What sites/services have you guys used and or recommend?

Thank you
Re: Online upload storage solution?
December 30, 2011 03:22AM
32GB per person to send over the web? Impractical in my view. They'll go crazy on the other end trying to upload that much, and one hiccup often means you have to redo the clip from scratch. And you won't be able to receive multiple downloads at once since one of those will eat up your bandwidth. I don't know if even those blazingly fast Asian connections can handle this kind of transfer at an acceptable speed at this time.

Just send a USB flash stick. 16GB ones appear to be the best value for now, at around $18 each.

www.derekmok.com
December 30, 2011 04:13AM
I understand but I'm really trying to avoid the drive situation for many reasons. I'd like to try an online solution for one project and see how it works out.

What about a ftp service or dropbox? I'm certainly willing to pay for a decent service.
December 30, 2011 04:26AM
I've uploaded 2GB over dropbox - took all day. I agree with Derek - thumb drives in the post.

December 30, 2011 04:56AM
You can try wiring a direct fibre connection. Some networks do that.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 30, 2011 05:02AM
I haven't tried the Internet speeds in Korea or Japan, but the Internet fibre connection that uses load sharing has a tendency to overload depending on the number of users in the area, so the fibre Internet connection in my area averages about 20kbps during peak hours and goes up to 800Kbps during off peak. This is upload speed to a local server (within the same state, not in house).

www.strypesinpost.com
December 30, 2011 11:46AM
I remote edit with a client who uploads 25 - 30 GB to their server. They use a dedicated FTP accelerator - this is my connection speed (http://www.speedtest.net/result/1677451562.png) - it takes about 3.5 hours to download their content.

Admittedly this is a dedicated transfer with specific equipment (not an online cloud like YouSendIt).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics