how to stop a text scroll
January 03, 2012 02:46PM
hi guys and top of the new year!

i have a question that seems so simple... i have a scrolling text that was done with the standard scrolling text feature in FCP (i also have livetype if that's needed).

what i want is having the text scroll away until the end where i'd like the last line to stay centered on screen. i've tried all kinds cutting into that clip (which will only make the scroll faster) and fading out, didn't work either. any ideas?

thanks much,

stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Re: how to stop a text scroll
January 03, 2012 04:23PM
Use Title Crawl. In it's controls animate the last item. Can't remember what it's called, but you can set it to go from zero to like 95% and hold there.

All the best,

Tom
January 04, 2012 09:56AM
i can't find title crawl. is it something that appeared in FCP7 perhaps? mine is 6.0.6.

stefan

--
January 04, 2012 10:02AM
It's there. Under Boris in the generators button or in the Effects tab. Do a search there for Title Crawl.

All the best,

Tom
January 04, 2012 10:08AM
you could also use file > export > quicktime conversion in FCP to take a still of the last credit at it's central point, then mask the actual scrolling version off by placing a copy off the top-half background over it. the scroll completes it's self hidden by the top-half matt. obviously don't cut the scroll text at the screen's half-way point as it'll shift the scroll's pace from start to finish (you may have certain credits syncing with sound or images throughout the sequence)

this works easily when using a plain black background but with a little creativity can also work with textures/still frames. you could also export the scrolling credits then re-import, change composite mode, knock out the black and place over a motion background or montage,

'always more than one way to skin a cat . .

Bluey,
January 04, 2012 12:32PM
> you could also use file > export > quicktime conversion in FCP to take a still of the last credit at it's central point, then
> mask the actual scrolling version off by placing a copy off the top-half background over it.

Sorry, but that's going to look really bad.

When an endscroll stops, it has to have whatever element stop while the text before it (above it) keeps scrolling offscreen. Or, you have a large space after the last chunk of text, and then one final element scrolls in (has to be the same speed) and stops.

If you were just to cover up the rest of the text with a black matte, then what you'd have is a chunk of text scrolling...and then one line stops while the rest disappears suddenly. I've seen that before...on student films and YouTube content. Dead sign of an amateur, in my view.

What you need to do is to have the rest of the text on one card, while the element that stops and holds has to be on another card, and before it stops, it needs to scroll at the same speed as the others. Mixed scroll speeds is another dead-amateur problem, unless you're making some kind of comic point with it.

www.derekmok.com
January 04, 2012 01:09PM
well guys,

thanks much for all this info. it's greatly appreciated. i now found the boris thing, but i also like hearing about the workarounds, even if they may not do the trick in this particular case. it's always great to get as many views as possible in a forum. as i'm still a novice in fcp after only a couple of years, i try to take in as much as i can.

thanks,
stefan

--
January 05, 2012 05:29AM
well gee derek i didn't see any of those howlers in my comp, client was more than pleased, besides the whole piece was littered with texture and some astute keyframes took care of the rest, it was clean and seamless, my whole point being - there's more than one way to skin a cat. this technique used was on the last line of creditation, worked great

all the best,
Bluey,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics