long export time when making a reference file

Posted by frebay 
long export time when making a reference file
January 24, 2012 02:14AM
Hi,
When I am exporting a reference file (unchecking the box "make movie self-contained) it takes twice a long. I read online it should only take a few minutes, when it's taking me 3 hours. I have rendered all (which took me 2 hours), but when I export, it still takes another 3 hours.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Re: long export time when making a reference file
January 24, 2012 05:41AM
My guess, two possibilities- some greenline or other off-color renders haven't been pre-done, or you have a drive issue. Are you rendering to your system drive? Shift-Q to the Scratch Disks pane to check that, and change it. Render renders to a dedicated media drive (scratch disk), just like any other media.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Summon your Video Scopes with Option - 9 !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 24, 2012 12:48PM
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm rendering in a system drive. I have selected every color render and re-rendered a dozen times (option-r and alt-r) and it still takes 2 hours.
January 24, 2012 01:05PM
A million things could be happening here. Are you working in HDV? Are you using matching Sequence and Clip Settings? Did you do effects work? How full are your drives? Did you accidentally leave a cluster of clips, say, nine hours down the timeline?

www.derekmok.com
January 25, 2012 02:15PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Did you accidentally leave
> a cluster of clips, say, nine hours down the
> timeline?

Ha! Derek - I know that one ...

Harry
January 25, 2012 06:40PM
What Derek said -- if you are doing XDCAM or HDV you are in render hell -- How long is your sequence? If it's an hour long with XDCAM or HDV it could indeed take several hours..

Your best bet is to set your rendering to Prores in the timeline ...it will export faster.

XDCAM and HDV is handy and great for archiving -- a pain for conforming final output

or worse - did you edit h264 in the timeline - then go take a lunch and dinner break and come back when it's done
January 25, 2012 07:36PM
I've been cutting a TV hour long doc shot 90% on XDCAM HD. Once the story came together in acts it was easy to keep the 4 acts rendered in ProRes. Once a week I delete all the renders and leave it to render the whole show overnight.
Reference files take a few minutes to output for a 42 minute show.
Crunching the producers' H.264s from those reference QTs for Dropbox or Vimeo is still faster than real time when you get all 8 cores going.

Upload time? On a wifi connection? well... that I can leave running and head home on the wheels of steel.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 26, 2012 10:19PM
Ahh, i think that might be my problem. I converted all my h.264 files to xdcam. When you say convert timeline to prores, will it affect my other sequences that are currently in xdcam?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics