Log and transfer vs Pro Res compressor

Posted by damo 
Log and transfer vs Pro Res compressor
February 29, 2012 06:57PM
Hi Guys,

Ive just started using me EX1r....

And im wondering to maintain the best quality in my workflow, would it be best to simply log and transfer my clips off the card directly into final cut pro? Or would it be best to transfer the clips to pro res in compressor, and then bring them into final cut pro?

Would appreciate any knowlege here...

Thanks guys
Re: Log and transfer vs Pro Res compressor
February 29, 2012 07:01PM
When you Log and Transfer it automatically transcodes to ProRes so there's no difference. However, you may prefer to use Compressor (if it is capable of reading the XDCAM files) to make use of clusters for faster processing speed and any additional post-processing you may wish to add to the files such as watermarks.

P.S. Café LA is the place for Final Cut Pro 7 and below discussions so I've moved this thread there.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 01, 2012 02:17AM
Jon wrote-

[When you Log and Transfer it automatically transcodes to ProRes so there's no difference.]

Mine don't! I recently had my first encounter with EX 108030p (35Mbs VBR) files. I ingested from a hard drive archive of correctly backed up content folders, all came in well, but the format I've been cutting in is not ProRes but the source format- native EX. Seems to cut fine-- it's a conference video, only a couple layers. Not that I want to be cutting in an interframe format.

My question is, why don;t I have the option to enable transcode EX to ProRes in the L&T's Import Prefs menu? The menu includes only ACV, P2 and MPEG. No EX. Where do I get that Sony source format? Is that a Sony download/install?

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke the big TimeCode Viewer with Control -T !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 01, 2012 03:10AM
There's a plugin here:
[pro.sony.com]

Or alternatively you could use the XDCAM Transfer tool.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 01, 2012 08:23AM
There is no option to transcode for the Sony XDCAM EX codecs. Compressor doesn't read the camera files natively. XDCAM EX works fine for short form projects, but gets very very crashy on long form projects, from experience, especially on the Mac Pros, less so on the latest MBPs.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 01, 2012 07:17PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for that...

So for my Vimeo Clips im working on, to ensure i am enhancing the best possible quality, i should continue to log and transfer me footage directly of the EX1R card, render in prores. Then when im done, 'send to' compressor and add the 9000kb/s youtube settings onto it..Is this all thats needed to maintain the best quality?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics