FCP3, sound meter freezes on "capture now", no sound captured?

Posted by el trent 
FCP3, sound meter freezes on "capture now", no sound captured?
March 22, 2012 06:34PM
FCP3, OX10.2, G4 mirror front, 4 hds, formac tv-studio analog/digital box.

Trying to capture sound, pix is showing in 'Capture Now', sound meter bounding, as is meter in 'clip setting' tab.
Click on 'virtual capture button", both sound meters freeze still, pix is captured but no sound/audio.

Thanks for your help
Re: FCP3, sound meter freezes on "capture now", no sound captured?
March 23, 2012 05:45AM
What is the 'Virtual Capture' button? Is that part of your hardware? And what is your source?

March 23, 2012 03:16PM
Hi Jude,
"Virtual capture now" button is on 'Capture now" button is on the bottom of the page with pix of video, and clip settings tab, for capturing audio and pix.
Source has been both Nagra 1/4" tape and VHS tape as a check through the Formac tv-studio.
Not sure it is hardware, it comes up as G4 generated visual for capturing original media.

I suspect something is in error with the FCP3.
Hope this explains it for you, Thanks
March 23, 2012 09:52PM
Oh ok. Capture now. Is there a setting anywhere on your convertor box to go from digital to analog? I don't know the Formac, so no idea what buttons it has. Try checking that's set correctly, and also that you're set up to capture both audio and video in the capture settings. Sometimes these settings can do wierd things and turn themselves on or off randomly.

So in the Log and Capture window, under the 'Clip Settings' tab, make sure 'Audio' has a check next to it.

March 24, 2012 03:48PM
Thanks, Jude,
Formac is set to receive analog, and put digital into G4.

Believe all appropriate audio video boxes are checked, at least at last attempt to capture because this, audio, is what I need to work on.

According to both meters, FCP edit timelines, and horizontal meter in 'Clip settings' are active and jumping until "capture Now" button is clicked, then meters freeze, no audio heard, but pix is captured?
Thanks, El
March 25, 2012 03:44PM
Hi Jude,
Turned on G4, looked to be sure audio boxes were all 'checked' in Capture Now window, all were checked and blue.

Looked at Finder>preferences> scratch disks, (had a lot of blue boxes w/check marks in them), but all audio boxes were grey and black checks in them, (audio render col, far right, were all blue).

Clicking on grey audio boxes didn't change them. Never noticed this before, certainly I didn't make them grey.

Is this it? Thanks!
March 25, 2012 06:29PM
If I were you, I'd try this : [www.digitalrebellion.com]

If it's all checked, and the computer is detecting the levels before capture, then it must be a glitch somewhere.

March 31, 2012 03:44PM
Hi Jude,
Could FCP simply be reloaded?
Larry
March 31, 2012 09:04PM
Sure, but that's more hassle than downloading the trial I linked to. And no guarantee it will work, although it probably will, if all your cables and connections are good.

April 04, 2012 06:21PM
Hi Jude,

FCP-oops.
Found out FCP on capture now freezes audio meters in order to capture, recalled this from long ago but cannot find where it was read, this losing me a bunch of days wondering why FCP was doing this to me.
Was finally able to capture much needed sound to replace audio turned static. But not before having 3 ?capture nows? aborted by dropped frames.
Finally went to FCP ?preferences? and unchecked the ?drop frame abort? boxes because I wanted to do the highest quality audio. After having done numerous captures before,never had seen an ?abort dropped frames? box. Especially liked how it let me assume the capture was going well and wasting time before telling me that time was aborted.
Thanks for your help,

El
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics