Losing my 'rendering' in timeline?
April 17, 2012 03:25PM
Working in ProRes 422. Last stages of completion. I render out my film. All clips rendered. I do some minor work on a clip somewhere in the timeline, maybe a couple of little changes here or there, but NO actual movement of, or change in, ALL the other clips on the timeline. And then suddenly I look down and a majority of the clips have lost their rendering.

I'm wondering what might be happening here? I can't remember it ever being an issue before. The only thing I can think that I might be doing differently: I usually edit in the native format the film was shot in. I did so this time, but then converted all the XDCam clips to ProRes 422 before sending them off to Color. Aha! I'm also using Color. Maybe that has something to do with the disappearing rendering?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated,

Ben
Re: Losing my 'rendering' in timeline?
April 17, 2012 07:22PM
Is it one of the Color graded clips you're adjusting?

April 17, 2012 07:27PM
Hi Jude,

Yes, since I guess all the clips have been 'Color' graded; it will be one of those I'm adjusting (adding a filter for example, that was best left until AFTER the color grading), like SmoothCam for example.

Why would adjusting a single Color graded clip affect the whole timeline?

Ben
April 17, 2012 07:52PM
I guess your machine has just reached the limit of what it can remember - what are you cutting on? But then, no, why would it disconnect from all your other renders? That's the whole point of rendering in FCP Legacy.

It would seem that cutting XDCam would be a lot more stressful than cutting ProRes though, so I agree it's odd, if this normally works well for you using XD. Do you have a lot of timelines open? Is the project massive? Oh - does the timeline now reference one single unit out of Color? Maybe that's it. You're actually adjusting that whole piece?

April 17, 2012 08:04PM
" Oh - does the timeline now reference one single unit out of Color? Maybe that's it. You're actually adjusting that whole piece?"

I don't think so. For example, I just re-rendered the whole show, then did some work on four or five clips ... and the show is still holding, no disconnect from the rendering. So far.

Now, I'm trying to figure ... how would the timeline be set so it would reference 'one single unit' out of Color?

Pesky little problem. It's been fine for the last hour, since I re-rendered everything. But I hate the idea of starting again tomorrow, ooops, a two or three hour render to start the day. I'm doing all the final checking while I'm doing the sound mix (the thought of watching the show yet again, without actually getting anything else done, no fun).

I'm on a fairly big machine, 10 Gigs of RAM, a good old workhorse. I've only got one other timeline open, but that might be a possibility, I'll close all other timelines. Instantly.

If a solution comes to me I'll post it. Or the monster may just stay rendered now, out of spite.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics