P2 Log and Transfer

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
P2 Log and Transfer
April 24, 2012 10:36AM
Hi, all

I know I have addressed this issue in the past, but it has been a while, and I've been in Avid world, and now I can't remember what to do.

I just got back to LA from Chicago, with a hard drive full of transferred P2 cards (shot on Panasonic AF100), which I am now attempting to L&T into FCP 7.

On some of the camera rolls, I am getting the old "[A 7] contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure." I put the roll number in brackets because I get the same error message on, for instance, A 14 and A 15.

A 7 clearly contains a spanned file. Where A 6 ends at Clip #12, A 7 picks up at clip #13. And sure enough, it doesn't have any of the regular directory structure. But the data is clearly all there. It's about 13 shots worth of footage. Correspondingly, B 7 has the same issue.

What does one do to get the shots through L&T in these instances?

Thanks very much!
Re: P2 Log and Transfer
April 24, 2012 01:24PM
First thing is that no one should copy only the video files from a camera mag. The files should be copied and verified usually with a software like Shotput Pro.

So if you only have the mts files, you'll need a software like Clipwrap to transcode the footage to Prores.

[www.divergentmedia.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 24, 2012 06:37PM
I bought MTS/M2TS converter, and that seems to be working fine, although the clips come in "not optimized" for FCP. And also, they are straight 24 fps rather than 23.98, and they are 32-bit Floating point, rather than 16. Is this going to cause me trouble down the road? Would I be better off using Clipwrap?

Thanks!
April 24, 2012 06:41PM
Also I just realized it is stripping my timecode. Will Clipwrap do that?
April 24, 2012 10:55PM
Clipwrap comes from a trustworthy developer. The converter you downloaded from sounds like spam ware. I would be wary of downloading spam ware.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 24, 2012 11:51PM
I actually can't seem to state the brand of the one I downloaded because LAFCPUG censors it.

I have switched to Clipwrap, and it is working great. Problem solved!
April 24, 2012 11:56PM
Censors it? Please explain

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 25, 2012 12:47AM
Perhaps he's using Pa*Tube or A*nsoft. Those were added to the banned words list, I think.

www.derekmok.com
April 25, 2012 12:50AM
Really? Thought we only ban profanity.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 25, 2012 01:19AM
It's been a while, but I think I added some of them to try to reduce the spam that was headed our way. It seems to work, since we haven't seen that sort of spam for a little while. If you feel that's going too far, feel free to remove those words, or I can do it. I added a few word combinations for those jewellery spams as well (eg. "t*omassabo" ).

www.derekmok.com
April 25, 2012 01:21AM
Hey if it helps reduce spam I'm all for censorship

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 25, 2012 01:29AM
Any mts converters that anyone gooogles up these days are spamware, thanks to SEO. Talk about the power of influencing search results on Google. More than that, looking at their marketing terms, they are probably owned by the same parent company.

Any moment this post may get hit by a bunch of bot triggered spam attacks selling low grade converters because this post would triggers off some kind of keyword search. Although strangely, I haven't seen those mts converter spam posts for quite a while. They are now mostly confined to shoes and jewelry.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 25, 2012 01:37AM
> I haven't seen those mts converter spam posts for quite a while.

I can only hope that means the censoring is working...I had to be careful just in case a user named "Thomas" or "Pandora" drops by.

Sorry about the detour there, Ben...I was a recent convert to ClipWrap as well. Ten times better than Voltaic, at least for the one project I needed it for (Sony AVCHD MTS files, with yet another inexperienced cameraman who didn't know to preserve folder structures). ClipWrap is not that much more expensive either; I think ClipWrap was $50 while Voltaic was $40.

www.derekmok.com
April 25, 2012 01:37AM
Can we ban the word jewelry? :-)

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 25, 2012 02:20AM
And "jewellery". These folks seem to come from the PAL world.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 25, 2012 12:11PM
Yes, it was Pa*tube. I had no idea the world I was wading into when I went searching for a converter. Sordid.
May 06, 2012 11:05AM
Bejamin,

You can also use my copyCards app to copy cards savely. It's no spamware, it's save, it's virus free and finally free at all. Many many people here know that I'm a "good" guy.
[www.spherico.de]

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics