Posted by Delphinus 
Sorry:
April 30, 2012 01:49PM
MacPro Intel 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB
FCP framing question
April 30, 2012 01:47PM
Hi all:
I just upgraded to FCP 7 from 6.5 and am having a framing problem. In 6.5, whenever I brought in a clip shot in HDV to a sequence preset of DV NTSC 48 KHz, a window would come up indicating that the clip does not match the AV settings, and it gave me a choice of bringing the clip in at the AV Settings, or changing the AV Settings to match the clip. This does not happen in FCP 7. I am bringing in HDV clips in order to enlargen them in SCALE to fit a 4:3 size. Without the option, all I get is a zoom effect maintaining the 16:9 window. How can I tell FCP 7 that I want to bring the HDV clip into a DV NTSC 48 KHz project and not have it automatically change the AV Setting?
Re: FCP framing question
April 30, 2012 02:19PM
> In 6.5, whenever I brought in a clip shot in HDV to a sequence preset of DV NTSC 48 KHz, a window would come up indicating that the clip does not match
> the AV settings, and it gave me a choice of bringing the clip in at the AV Settings, or changing the AV Settings to match the clip. This does not happen in FCP 7.
> I am bringing in HDV clips in order to enlargen them in SCALE to fit a 4:3 size. Without the option, all I get is a zoom effect maintaining the 16:9 window.
> How can I tell FCP 7 that I want to bring
> the HDV clip into a DV NTSC 48 KHz project and not have it automatically change the AV Setting?

Huh?

Exactly which option do you want? The first half of your message says you want that message that asks you whether you want to change Sequence Settings to match the clips. Then the second half of your message says you don't. Which is it?

The option of whether FCP asks you about conforming a Sequence to its first inserted clip is under User Preferences - Editing - Auto conform sequence.

And what you're asking isn't related to the preferences under Audio/Video Settings. Audio/Video Settings - Sequence Presets only governs the default settings of a newly created Sequence. The Auto Conform dialog box gives you the option of changing the Sequence Settings, of the current Sequence only, to match the first clip that's brought into the timeline, if the clip and Sequence Settings don't match. The active Sequence Preset stays the same.

www.derekmok.com
April 30, 2012 04:50PM
Sorry if I was not clear. I am trying to bring in a 16:9 HDV clip into a FCP project with Standard Video settings (4:3). I am trying to re-size the 16:9 to 4:3. When I bring it in without the warning box, it changes the project to a 16:9 format. The box that used to come up asked me if I wanted to do this. I did not want to do this because now I have a 16:9 clip in an HDV project and if I use SCALE, it only enlargens the image in a 16:9 frame.

Minutes ago I found a solution. If I bring in a 4:3 clip first, then I can bring in all the 16:9 HDV clips and the project remains Standard Def 4:3, and I can SCALE up the clip and maintain 4:3. Sometimes it is hard to put in writing what goes on in FCP. I hope this was a bit more clear.
April 30, 2012 05:19PM
> When I bring it in without the warning box, it changes the project to a 16:9 format.

Your concepts are all over the place. So before we do anything, we need to clear everything up.

Your HDV is in 16:9. It is either 1440x1080 (anamorphic HD) or 1920x1080 (full-raster HD). Both are intended to be played back at 16:9.

If you were using a 4:3 setting, it would mean you're using 640x480. That, in itself, is wrong. DV NTSC should be 720x480.

So when you say "it changes the project to a 16:9 format", it's very misleading. Your original clips were 16:9; your current timeline is 4:3. So you either have a letterboxed 4:3 or 3:2 frame, with black bars on top and bottom, or you have anamorphic 16:9 DV, which is 720x480, with a distorted frame so that it can be stretched back into a wide 16:9 frame.

> then I can bring in all the 16:9 HDV clips and the project remains Standard Def 4:3, and I can SCALE up the clip and maintain 4:3.

Huh?

If you're bringing HD footage into an SD timeline, and you want a pan-and-scan effect (ie. no letterbox bars; cropping the sides of the widescreen image and using only the "TV safe" area in the middle), then you're scaling down the clip, not up. You're shrinking an HD clip to fit in an SD frame.

www.derekmok.com
April 30, 2012 08:09PM
> it gave me a choice of bringing the clip in at the AV Settings, or changing the AV Settings to match the clip.

In User Preferences, under the editing tab, set "auto conform sequence" to "ask". And check "always scale clips to sequence size".

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics