Sony HDV and Snow Leopard...HELP!
May 09, 2012 01:33PM
Running Snow Leopard on a 2.66 GHz Macbook Pro with 8 GB RAM.

I was unfortunately given a tape based Sony HDV camera to shoot on a current gig (Sony HVR-Z5U) and I cannot capture in Final Cut 6 or 7. I've done some research and I see that it's a Snow Leopard issue.

Snow Leopard is simply not seeing the firewire for both my Sony Deck (HVR-M15U) and camera (HVR-Z5U). I'm trying to see if my company can rent me a older machine that runs Leopard (though I'd prefer a different camera), but does anyone have a fix for this?

Is anyone able to capture Sony HDV with Lion?
Re: Sony HDV and Snow Leopard...HELP!
May 09, 2012 05:44PM
I captured HDV from that EXACT deck using Snow Leopard just fine. Connected via Firewire? Have HDV Easy Setup chosen in FCP?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 09, 2012 07:45PM
Yep...did all that. I've done this hundreds of times, but years ago and I'm positive my FCP settings and camera/deck settings are set up to be able to capture HDV.

When I have the camera or deck plugged in, I check the firewire in the admin and it says "Warning: Unable to list fireWire devices".
May 09, 2012 09:13PM
That probably means you've either got a bad cable or a bad firewire port. There are a number of posts I've seen about this on the macbooks. Try plugging in another firewire device to the port to see if it functions with another cable or device.

May 10, 2012 04:42PM
Yea, tried that. I plugged in a hard drive into the part and it works fine. Funny thing though is, if I daisy chain that camera/deck into that hard drive and boot up the mac, the mac won't mount the drive.....
May 10, 2012 04:50PM
Yea, heard about that. It's more the FW800 port and your camera uses FW400, so using a FW800-400 adaptor doesn't seem to work as well.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics