distorted photos when exporting from FCP

Posted by LoriGlasgow 
distorted photos when exporting from FCP
June 05, 2012 05:02PM
I have FCP 6 and when i export still images using quicktime conversion in JPEG format, the image is distorted. the head is elongated. I am exporting from a timeline that is 23.98, apple pro res compressor with HD video. do you have any suggestions for different settings I can use to export the same quality that I see on the timeline in FCP? thank you
Re: distorted photos when exporting from FCP
June 05, 2012 06:56PM
It's not a quality issue. Check your frame size. It must match whatever your Sequence Setting is.

www.derekmok.com
June 06, 2012 05:38PM
Thank you. I checked to make sure sequence settings match photo. I think the problem could be solved in photo shop. i need to adjust the pixel aspect. is there a workaround using only FCP since i do not have photoshop?
June 06, 2012 07:29PM
Load the clip into the viewer, then go to the motion tab and find 'distort'. Open the small triangle to reveal the controls, then use the aspect slider to get the pictures looking right. Then copy that clip, select all the other clips in the timeline and do a 'paste attributes' 'basic motion'.

Of course, it could also be that you're exporting an anamorphic sequence, which is supposed to look like that because it's the TV that stretches it to the correct proportions.

Oh, actually, rereading your post it probably is that. Because you're exporting a still, not a sequence, so the settings must be anamorphic somewhere. You could possibly load your exported pic into QuickTime 7 and use the video>display function to change the aspect.

Open in QT 7, go to Window>Show Movie Properties then go to the Video Track tab > Visual settings > uncheck 'preserve aspect ratio' and type the numbers you want into the scaled size boxes. I have no idea what your frame size was or what your photo size was, so I can't tell you what numbers to use.

Then 'Export' > "movie to picture' and use the options to get back to jpeg.

June 10, 2012 12:17PM
brilliant! great work around. i also do no have quicktime 7 so i reduced the aspect ratio by -10 in motion tab and the results were just what i needed. thank you so much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics