Using FCP 7 with Retina Display Macbook Pro ?

Posted by PaulRezult 
Using FCP 7 with Retina Display Macbook Pro ?
June 25, 2012 03:46AM
Hi there
After finally testing out FCPX, I am one of the many editor that won't be moving and sticking with FCP Studio for the time being.
My question is has anyone used FCP 7 with the new Retina Macbook Pros ?
I'm basically looking to see it FCP 7 is useable on the retina display to help me to decide to buy one or not....My current Macbook Pro is nearly 4 years old and crying for an update but there a few concerns with the new model
1. Screen resolution will actually be lower running FCP 7 and other software that isn't optimised for retina display?
2. No Firewire ports
3. No audio input

I'm thinking now that updating with a new standard MBP with SSD rather than the retina display model is a better option

Any help really appreciated as I don't know what direction to turn now
Re: Using FCP 7 with Retina Display Macbook Pro ?
June 25, 2012 09:30AM
I haven't actually tried the new retina display MBP, but I just did a demo last week on Premiere Pro and all the sayings that PPro is like FCP 8... Well, I won't agree exactly, because they are 2 different NLEs, but there are many jobs where I would prefer to use Premiere over FCP 7 because there are inherent time saving benefits.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 25, 2012 08:39PM
Hi Paul,

I haven't tried it yet, but one of the developers working on the WineSkin project (they port windows apps to work on a Mac) has a Retina MacbookPro. He wrote a simple script which runs the retina display at native pixel for pixel resolution (a full 2880x1800!). If I could get my hands on a RDMBP I would try this with FCP7 instantly. The resolution can easily be set back to retina defaults by simply opening the display preferences.

I think the only drawback of native pixel will be small text and menu bars. But if you are familiar with a Mac's accessibility options (magnify/zoom) it shouldn't be a big deal to hold a key combo to read tiny text. I do wonder how minuscule the timeline, button bars, etc, will look.

Anyway here's the link:
[wineskin.urgesoftware.com]

If anyone finds this useful, please reply with your experience. I'd love to know how this works in practice.

Thanks,

~j!
July 24, 2012 01:09AM
Actually, I'm much more interested in the missing audio ports. I use the analog Stereo Line-In a lot.

[kozco.com]

This is a double-ender tape sync I did for an interview. It was double recorded, me on the Macbook Pro and a second, protection recording on a Zoom H4. That's why the shoot looks a mess. It's three people and two separate recordings on that table.

So far the only comments are that the single audio port probably works just like the older ones did -- you had to switch back and forth between the directions in System Preferences. The optical digital is still there, but Apple doesn't mention that at all.

But nobody has said, "The Analog Line-In is still there and here's how to switch to it." The only screen shot I saw from System Preferences is missing the sound meter and the selection for Line-In.

Not good news.

Koz
July 24, 2012 01:24PM
Nope. I stopped by Macs R Us on Wilshire and poked arounde inside one of the Retina MacBook Pros. Lovely machine, but when I opened up Preferences, it only had the built-in microphone listed. I suppose had I plugged in a USB gadget, it would have listed that, too. But no more analog input ports -- short of the microphone. I think my MacBook will support that, too. Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics