Any benefits to upgrade to Mountain Lion

Posted by Douglas Villalba 
Any benefits to upgrade to Mountain Lion
August 13, 2012 11:45AM
My MAC is an 8 core late 2010 Intel Xeon Westmere with 14 GB and a ATI Radeon HD 5770.
I use FCP7, Motion 4&5, Color, Compressor 3 & 4, MB Looks II, not many plug-ins.
Should I stay on 10.6.8 or will I see improvements with Mountain Lion? What has been your experience with ML?

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
Re: Any benefits to upgrade to Mountain Lion
August 14, 2012 06:51PM
I'd stay with 10.6 for now. New OS releases are usually not ready for prime time until the .1 or .2 release, IMHO. Also, by the time the .1 or .2 releases are out, there will be enough user reports to be sure that all your hardware and software is compatible and will survive the jump. If you have a secondary machine that you want to test it out on, that's a great idea...figure out the quirks and get familiar with it before you HAVE to use it on your primary machine.
August 14, 2012 07:05PM
Good advise Clay. I'm not ready for new headaches, just checking to see what is going on.

Usually there is more talk about new software, but I haven't seen anything since it was released.

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
Miami, Florida

[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
August 29, 2012 10:02AM
Is there any new reports about MountainLion? It been a while and I haven't heard of any problems with FC7.

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
Miami, Florida

[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
August 30, 2012 07:38PM
I've recently upgraded my machine to 10.8, and I've been using FCP 6 on it. No issues that I've noticed so far, but I also am not dealing with any 3rd party plugins or hardware, so my setup may not be an accurate reflection of most production environments.

If you can, install 10.8 (now at 10.8.1) on a spare machine (or spare drive) and test your setup when you can between projects.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics