Round Trip Audio Sync Problems
November 10, 2012 05:29PM
I'm working on a film and the audio round trip from FCP 7 to Pro Tools isn't syncing. I'm hoping someone has some insight into the problem. Which is:

The film is 24 fps. Audio 48k 16 bit out. 48k 24 bit back.

To isolate the problem, we created 3, 5 and 7 minute clips. Each clip begins with a standard Cinema Tools countdown with a one frame beep at the 2. Following the countdown is black with time code. After the allotted time of the clip, there's another 1 frame 2 with a one frame beep. Checking the sequence settings and exported video confirms that the frame rate of the clips is exactly 24 fps.

We sent this off to the sound designer who, in Pro Tools, matched the FCP beeps in his 24 fps set up. He then sent the audio files back.

I line up the original FCP files with the files he sent so that the beeps at the head match. But the end beeps are off:

In the 3 minute clip, the sound guy's end beep is 5 frames before the original FCP end beep
In the 5 minute clip, the sound guy's end beep is 8 frames before the original FCP end beep
In the 7 minute clip, the sound guy's end beep is 11 frames before the original FCP end beep

Ok, so this seems to indicate that there's a 23.98 / 24 fps mismatch somewhere. But when I drop the same files into After Effects, Premiere Pro or even Quicktime Pro, all the beeps line up precisely. The same problem appears on three different computers.

Does anyone have a clue what can be done to fix this? We can't sync the film until we resolve this issue.

And by the way, in FCP the sound guy's end beep waveform is visually in the right place in the timeline of the 5 and 7 minute clips, while the actual audio – where there's no waveform – sounds 8 and 11 frames earlier, as noted above. This also on all three machines.

Many thanks in advance.

On our end:
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.6 Pro
AE 11.0.0.378
PP 6.0.0
Original FCP files created on an iMac running 10.7.4
Tested on the iMac, a MacBook Pro and a Mac Tower with the same results
Re: Round Trip Audio Sync Problems
November 10, 2012 05:59PM
> But when I drop the same files into After Effects, Premiere Pro or even Quicktime Pro, all the beeps line up precisely. The same problem appears on three
> different computers.

That would indicate a Final Cut Pro problem. Out-of-sync clips do not come back into perfect sync by mistake. Did you set your Audio/Video Settings (Sequence and Capture Presets) at the correct frame rate and sample rate?

www.derekmok.com
Re: Round Trip Audio Sync Problems
November 10, 2012 08:55PM
Derek, I think that's it! I will check the settings at the machine at the office tomorrow but here on my tower that did the trick. I can't thank you enough. I may have another question along the way, but I am thrilled so far.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics