OT: Starting Editing a short - Advices?

Posted by xavpil 
OT: Starting Editing a short - Advices?
November 16, 2012 02:09PM
I just copied the DSLR (7D) footage onto my external drive. I am ready to start editing.

FYI
1920.1080 - 24fps - DSLR 7D
Only 3 scenes to cut
5min running time
Audio recorded separately
Movie will be sent to festivals but shouldn't be shown on a theater screen... but we never know.

I'd love your input since it is my first short movie editing.
Couple questions that come through my mind:
1- When Log/Transfering: should I simply go for Prores LT or 422 or somthing else?
2- Any tips on logging. Is it worth typing scene description or Slate info or....?
3- Audio sync: to sync my audio/video I'll have to create a sequence of course. Does it mean that I'll have to edit in the "movie" sequence with the clips sequences? Load the clip-sequence in the Viewer and Cmd-Opt-Shift drag it into the final sequence?

ANy other tips welcomed!!

Thx
Re: OT: Starting Editing a short - Advices?
November 16, 2012 03:57PM
With such a short film, go for maximum quality -- ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ.

> Any tips on logging. Is it worth typing scene description or Slate info or....?

Never, ever use descriptions. Use scene-shot-take numbers, and put the description into Log Notes or another column of FCP metadata.

> Does it mean that I'll have to edit in the "movie" sequence with the clips sequences?

Create new master clips after syncing. I personally detach all video from audio, so in my case it's also possible for me to just copy/paste the video with the audio tracks from the sync sequence into the editing sequence.

www.derekmok.com
November 16, 2012 04:04PM
I like to do stringouts and sync in the stringouts. Or you can use PluralEyes for that. Basically after that, select all the clips, right click "make independent clip" and drag into a new bin called "synced rushes". Those will be your new master clips. You can delete the old unsynced clips.

Logging? I really don't care about logging as much, since I barely use logs and I prefer to cut from a sequence to another sequence. But I use markers in the stringout sequence.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 16, 2012 04:09PM
> Logging? I really don't care about logging as much, since I barely use logs

?????
Logging, as in changing the default DSLR file names and adding metadata such as Reel Name. Absolutely essential.

www.derekmok.com
November 16, 2012 04:30PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like to do stringouts and sync in the
> stringouts. After that, select all the clips, right
> click "make independent clip" and drag into a new
> bin called "synced rushes".

one string out per clip or do you add several clips in a sequence.

ALso I did a test and after right clicking and creating the new Master Clip I dragged into the Browser but got Video and Audio files separate.
After right clicking dont I need to link the video and audio together (Cmd-L) and then drag?
November 16, 2012 04:32PM
> Create new master clips after syncing. I
> personally detach all video from audio, so in my
> case it's also possible for me to just copy/paste
> the video with the audio tracks from the sync
> sequence into the editing sequence.

Is this different from just creating new Master clips?
I don't quite follow the description...
November 16, 2012 04:46PM
> Is this different from just creating new Master clips?

Yes. It means I don't necessarily need new master clips if I need to, say, get back a section I haven't used.

However, browsing takes in a timeline is extremely inefficient, so new master clips are the way to go in the long run. Because of problems with Match Frame, however, I often need to go to the sync sequences (stringouts) to retrieve a clip.

> one string out per clip or do you add several clips in a sequence.

That's up to you. One stringout per clip would be way too inefficient for me. I do one stringout per scene, organized according to shot and take numbers.

www.derekmok.com
November 16, 2012 05:01PM
>Logging, as in changing the default DSLR file names and adding metadata such as Reel Name.

That I do. I add reel names and that sort of stuff. That's for organization and easy re-linking. But marking a clip in the log notes column as "LS", "M2S" or describing the spoken text or marking "good take". I rarely use that, and I've kinda stopped doing that, although that may depend on the show. One interesting point to note, and this was from one of Walter Murch's practice, and he makes notes as he watches the rushes for the first time, partly because the audience will be watching the shot for the first time, and that impression at the first viewing can be quite different from subsequent viewing of the same performance.

But I do sort my rushes out into bins based on scenes. That's for organization during the edit so I can find the rushes quickly, and they aren't all over the place.

>one string out per clip or do you add several clips in a sequence.

Usually one sequence per scene. It's something I started doing when I was editing in FCP, and it made more sense when I went to cut on the Avid due to the toggle source/record timeline function. I find it easier to scrub through footage when they are all in a timeline, than when you're loading it from the bins into the viewer. And I use markers for areas of interest.

I usually do my syncing in that sequence with all the rushes from the scene, or the assistant does it, and then use that synced sequence for the edit. That synced sequence is what some guys call the stringout.

>After right clicking dont I need to link the video and audio together (Cmd-L) and then drag?

Ah, yes. You need to link the video with the new audio clips, then make the clip independent, and drag them into the bins to create new Master clips. This means that when you reveal master clip from your edit sequence, it takes you back to the bin.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 16, 2012 05:12PM
> this was from one of Walter Murch's practice, and he makes notes as he watches the rushes for the first time, partly because the audience will be watching the shot
> for the first time, and that impression at the first viewing can be quite different from subsequent viewing of the same performance.

You can always change your picks afterwards. I use the colour labels for takes that made me perk up on first viewing.

Also, in cases where you can't change the file names (eg. Arri Alexa), I use Log Notes as a kind of divider bar. I describe the shot on the first take of it, and then only shorter notes in subsequent takes, until the next shot. The longer log notes help you visually distinguish one shot from another, which is especially useful because I do a lot of commercials where there are 28 takes of a shot.

www.derekmok.com
November 22, 2012 11:25AM
Thx a lot Derek and Strypes. Very precise and helpful answers.
Starting the work today!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics