Another media manager question

Posted by stefangs 
Another media manager question
January 30, 2013 04:28PM
hi all,

i have backed up media to a storage drive, but now i wanted to export a sequence from an older project again.

i opened the project from the backup drive (seems to me just as good as copying everything to the production drive first - no editing intended).

all clips were offline which is pretty much what i expected, because the sequence looks at the original file path first, i guess. i located one clip on the backup drive and hoped that with the 'Reconnect all files in relative path' option i'd only need to reconnect one manually. this has worked for me before, but now it seems FCP wants me to reconnect each and every clip individually. why is that - can i not somehow have all clips connect at the same time?

thanks,
stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Re: Another media manager question
January 30, 2013 06:30PM
One guess is that your media is lying in different folders (eg. sorted by shoot date or reel), and FCP is re-connecting based on the clips in your sequence. One way to do this is to drag everything into a bin, sort all your media by reel, and re-connect reel by reel.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 30, 2013 08:26PM
rather than dragging the sequence clips into a bin, you'd be better of using "Create Master clips"

for a clean result, best is to copy the sequence into anew project, (that will give you ONE new bin with all sequence clips)
select it, then go to Tools Menu > Create Master Clips.

i'm not saying that this will solve your initial problem,
it's just a better approach to Strypes' solution.

Video Toolshed have an app that will reconnect an FCP sequence to Media based on the Reel# & TimeCode
could be useful

nick
January 30, 2013 09:38PM
>select it, then go to Tools Menu > Create Master Clips.

Nice one!

www.strypesinpost.com
January 30, 2013 10:40PM
yeah, you only get one instance of each clip used, and you wont get a bunch of transitions, which oyu;d get from dragging, or a copy / paste.

oh, you WILL get any text generators or other sorts of overlays,
so if you have subtitles, for instance, or a lot of lower thirds, you might want to remove them first.

cheers,
nick
January 31, 2013 05:45AM
hi again,

nick, i tried what you suggested and ended up with a bin of all the offline clips alright. but when i selected one of them to reconnect, only that one was reconnected. so there wasn't any difference between doing this or not, as far as i can tell.

my media was organized with media manager and currently looks like this:

>bunch of folders to the path
>archive
- sequence.fcp
>Media
>folder_wth_sequence_name (otherwise empty)
- actual media files (all .mov, .jpg, .wav files together)
>Render Files
<empty folder>

so there's only one path to all media files. i suppose i should leave the 'Reconnect all files in relative path' option checked with reconnecting the first one, right? in any case, i tried turning it off and it made no difference. i'm not really sure what a 'reel' would be in my case, because all files came from an SD card, not an actual reel, but perhaps that's also considered a reel.

thanks,
stefan

--
January 31, 2013 06:35AM

when i selected one of them to reconnect, only that one was reconnected

that's to be expected.
try selecting ALL the clips in the bin, or indeed, just select ALL in the browser,
and then reconnect.

try this on your original project, first, see what happens
something tells me you may have done this already, but i hope it's just a simple mistake like this.

i suppose i should leave the 'Reconnect all files in relative path' option checked with reconnecting the first one, right?

right

i'm not really sure what a 'reel' would be in my case, because all files came from an SD card, not an actual reel, but perhaps that's also considered a reel.

indeed it is,
and that reel# should be entered when you first bring the media into FCP

if you don't have reel#s, that might be the cause of the re-connect woes.

nick
January 31, 2013 11:27AM
With tapeless media in FCP, "reel" comes from the folder name in which the card contents are stored.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 31, 2013 01:02PM
> With tapeless media in FCP, "reel" comes from the folder name in which the card contents are stored.

That is true if the media was ingested using FCP's own Log and Transfer. If the conversion was done with other software, the clips wouldn't have a Reel Name at all; you'd have to add it by hand.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2013 04:57PM
jesus christ - i need to select them all!!!

i'd swear i've only selected one and all remaining ones in the same path (which is what i assumed that check box means) were reconnected before. obviously that was some other app, perhaps protools or something. anyway... thanks guys for the help and making me see the forest among the trees. so yes, i could just reconnect them in the original project on the backup drive and all done.

regarding the reel number (all clips are brought in with L&T) - no clips have a reel name, so that's obviously not a problem. most of my output files are short and don't have zillions of clips so i can get by without the reel for now.

when i import the files, i can rename them in the L&T window, but i don't do that anymore because i found those names don't travel so well. where are they stored? perhaps in the user's home folder? i've lost them before.

anyway, thanks again for all your help!

stefan

--
January 31, 2013 05:19PM
> regarding the reel number (all clips are brought in with L&T) - no clips have a reel name

Despite what you think, that is a problem. In an online/offline workflow (which is what you ended up with), a reel name is essential. It also affects FCP's ability to keep track of the clip -- and the file relationship -- in unpredictable ways.

> when i import the files, i can rename them in the L&T window, but i don't do that anymore because i found those names
> don't travel so well. where are they stored? perhaps in the user's home folder?

That metadata should be stored within the memory card's file structure, as well as built into the QuickTime movie file created during the ingest.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2013 06:40PM
>i found those names don't travel so well. where are they stored? perhaps in the user's home folder? i've lost
>them before.

The reel names are embedded both in the QT and in the FCP project file.

>That metadata should be stored within the memory card's file structure, as well as built into the QuickTime
>movie file created during the ingest.

Not exactly. The reel name is stored in the folder containing the memory card, so if you change that, FCP may get confused.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 01, 2013 04:16PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > regarding the reel number (all clips are brought
> in with L&T) - no clips have a reel name
>
> Despite what you think, that is a problem. In an
> online/offline workflow (which is what you ended
> up with), a reel name is essential. It also
> affects FCP's ability to keep track of the clip --
> and the file relationship -- in unpredictable
> ways.

ok so since my workflow hasn't changed since the project in question, this is the deal. i started a new project today and i imported the media in the exact same way - L&T from a copy of the unchanged AVCHD folder structure on disk. all imported media does have a reel name (from the folder as you pointed out) which is just a date in my case, but that name was apparently lost when i backed up the files with media manager.

i see if that happens again when i back up the next project (could take a while though ;-))

stefan

--
February 01, 2013 04:20PM
strypes Wrote:
> >i found those names don't travel so well. where
> are they stored? perhaps in the user's home
> folder? i've lost
> >them before.
>
> The reel names are embedded both in the QT and in
> the FCP project file.

i was actually referring to the clip name. i lost those before and since then i haven't bothered to even assign clip names any longer. it's not great to live with Clip 1, Clip2... Clip 364, but with enough bins it's ok.

> >That metadata should be stored within the memory
> card's file structure, as well as built into the
> QuickTime
> >movie file created during the ingest.
>
> Not exactly. The reel name is stored in the folder
> containing the memory card, so if you change that,
> FCP may get confused.

there's chance this was the case when i lost the clip names or even the reel name. i couldn't say for sure, but now that i know what to watch for, i will.

thanks again,
stefan

--
February 01, 2013 04:24PM
> i lost those before and since then i haven't bothered to even assign clip names any longer. it's not great to live with Clip 1, Clip2...
> Clip 364

Boom. That is a very bad decision to make as an editor. Whenever I see a show prepped for me like this, I always think, "amateur assistant".

Don't ever skip that step. Unique clip names is a non-negotiable part of digital editing. You can't rely on bins or folders, especially in Final Cut Pro, which relies on file names, not file locations, to keep track of media.

www.derekmok.com
February 02, 2013 02:35PM
>i was actually referring to the clip name. i lost those before and since then i haven't bothered to
>even assign clip names any longer.

FCP lets you re-name the clip name within the app. When you do so, the change in the clip name will not be updated in the file in the finder. To change the file name, right click on the clip or clips and select "rename file to match clip". This will rename the file.

Media manager has an option to base the name of the file based on file name or clip name. In general, I keep the name of the clip similar to the name in the finder, to preserve my sanity. But the reel name, is kept both in the QT file and in FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 03, 2013 08:35AM
derekmok Wrote:
> > i lost those before and since then i haven't
> bothered to even assign clip names any longer.
> it's not great to live with Clip 1, Clip2...
> > Clip 364
>
> Boom. That is a very bad decision to make as an
> editor. Whenever I see a show prepped for me like
> this, I always think, "amateur assistant".

you can rest assure that i would give you real clip names, if i were to prepare for you or someone else. if they're not named, the project isn't really prepared at all. i'm 100% with you here. when i work on my own projects, especially a small project with few clips, i think i can get by with the default names. my reason is this:
suppose i want to go back to the original files and cut again. i'd import from the AVCHD folder structure and the clips would have the same Clip1.. etc. names as they did before, if and only if i don't go across several media card dumps on the drive. had i named them, i'd need to figure out what i named each clip to match the previous edit. does that make sense?

stefan

--
February 03, 2013 08:41AM
strypes Wrote:
> >i was actually referring to the clip name. i lost
> those before and since then i haven't bothered to
>
> >even assign clip names any longer.
>
> FCP lets you re-name the clip name within the app.
> When you do so, the change in the clip name will
> not be updated in the file in the finder. To
> change the file name, right click on the clip or
> clips and select "rename file to match clip". This
> will rename the file.

i think this is the step i missed before. that's why i ended up with missing clip names at one point or another.

but again, if i were to import from the media card images, the names are never there, so naming is based on my state of mind, my mood or the way the wind blows. what i mean is, instead of Clip #23, i might decide to label that clip 'car approach', 'car approaching', 'sue driving by'.... you get the idea.

> Media manager has an option to base the name of
> the file based on file name or clip name. In
> general, I keep the name of the clip similar to
> the name in the finder, to preserve my sanity. But
> the reel name, is kept both in the QT file and in
> FCP.

that's a good tip, too.

thanks,
stefan

--
February 03, 2013 08:48AM
> i'd import from the AVCHD folder structure and the clips would have the same Clip1.. etc. names as they did before
> had i named them, i'd need to figure out what i named each clip to match the previous edit.

My solution is to retain the original file names, but add a prefix. What I usually use is the Reel Name (for example, "00001" now becomes "Day 01 Card 01 00001" ). There are multiple advantages to this. First, you clips will have unique names, since every reel will have clips that have a prefix unique to that reel. Second, the files ingested will now have the reel name right in the file name, so you won't be at a loss as to where it came from, if you need to re-ingest. Third, you can rename the ingested file without touching the camera masters, because if you need to re-ingest from the original camera media, you can still use the default names generated by the camera, and then just add the prefix again. If your system for determining the added prefix is very straightforward, then you can do it fast, and the resulting files should reconnect.

Unfortunately, this system is for the tapeless age, and if I had to edit a narrative film with file names like "Day 01 Card 01 00001", I'd still go nuts. However, I alleviate this problem sometimes by creating an "Aux Clip Name" column of metadata, where I would use the "Scene-Shot-Take" system. This allows me to organize files in a more editor-friendly way, without touching the camera masters.

> instead of Clip #23, i might decide to label that clip 'car approach', 'car approaching', 'sue driving by'.... you get the idea.

That's not a good system. How do you distinguish between "car approach" from "car approaching"? "car approach" from Scene 21 vs. "car approach" from Scene 62? "CU Ray" from another "CU Ray"?

Don't describe your shots in your file names. File names need to be unique and systematic. Do the shot description in the Log Notes, or in any of the metadata columns within the FCP project.

www.derekmok.com
February 03, 2013 10:52AM
Log and Transfer in FCP7 has various file re-naming options that you can add to the file name on import. I use that a lot.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 03, 2013 04:36PM
that's good stuff here derek. aux clip name for the description is a great suggestion. i'm so meticulous about naming files in other apps (or fields in filemaker) - it's about time to do that in fcp as well (while it lasts anyway).

stefan

--
February 03, 2013 04:37PM
i didn't know that... it's probably under that gear icon. i'll look out for that tomorrow. too late to open another project right now for me.

thanks,
stefan

--
February 03, 2013 04:43PM
Nope. Not under the gear icon. It's on the right pane under the preview window. There are a bunch of re-naming options including appending the reel name before the file name, etc.. It's pretty handy.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 19, 2013 05:54AM
I'm coming back to this as I still don't understand how this renaming business works. In the L&T window I don't see a function how I would add the reel name to the clip name (automatically).

So I ingest from my card and end up with clips that have the same reel number and are called Clip #xxx. How do I go about renaming them all at once to Reel_01_Clip#xxx?

The drop down menu in the clip field lets me pick existing clip names (not sure what that's good for) and the folder icon just lets me increment the current number (useless in my case).

Thanks,
Stefan

--
August 19, 2013 10:36AM
Here. In the Log and Transfer window. This will rename the clips as you are ingesting.

If you click on the "name preset" drop down menu and go to "edit", there are lots of renaming options there.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 19, 2013 02:15PM
Thanks Gerard, I get it now. It's probably a FCP7 feature which isn't present in my v6. That explains it.

Stefan

--
August 19, 2013 02:51PM
Yes. It's an FCP7 feature.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 20, 2013 03:55PM
Sorry to bug you guys again, but ingesting from different 'reels' with all clips at default names is just no good. I suppose, from a single reel it's ok, but right now I have more. On top, a Clip#1 is renamed to Clip#189 or whatever if some other reel already used up the name Clip#1. So you'll never know which clip that was to begin with and thing are becoming really messy. Manually renaming that many clips is a royal pain.

Any ideas for batch renaming clips in v6? Is the Finder an option and reconnecting clips somehow?

Grateful for ideas,
Stefan

--
August 20, 2013 05:51PM
> On top, a Clip#1 is renamed to Clip#189 or whatever if some other reel already used up the name Clip#1.

This is an incredibly bad system. You've never logged a narrative film? Don't you have proper scene/shot/take numbers as on the slate?

This is why in an earlier post, I suggested that if you have no system in place and the shots can't be identified, use "Reel 001 Clip 001". This system is infallible as long as no two reels have the same name, which is another post-production requirement.

Oh, and another thing, take out that "#" no matter what.

> Manually renaming that many clips is a royal pain.

That's called logging. It's an essential part of an assistant editor's job. If you don't want to do this job, you should hire a competent assistant to do it for you. Taking three seconds per clip to ensure it is properly named is not a waste of time.

www.derekmok.com
August 21, 2013 05:06AM
What Derek said about the "#" signs. That leads to complications.

What I would do, being a bit less set in my ways now, is to batch rename the clips in the Finder and re-importing them back into FCP. You won't be able to relink to the clips because FCP requires file names to be the same, but you should be able to batch capture from the source cards as that uses clip id.

If you don't have time to log clips manually, it is always good to use a file naming method that:

1) avoids duplicate file names
2) allows easy search and recognition by episode (or even better, scene numbers)

You can use a program such as "R-Name".

I don't think it's absolutely crucial to use specific names "MAW_Sc01_Tk01_MS_Cherry", since you will more likely view the footage rather than read the log descriptions.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics