Two workstations with one media drive or server. Possible?

Posted by Logan6 
Two workstations with one media drive or server. Possible?
January 31, 2013 06:52PM
Hello.

Is there a way two FCP 7.0 workstations (in the same room) can access one media source? The research I have so far gathered suggest that a NAS (through gigabyte ethernet cables) would be too slow for video files. ProRes 422LT is what we work with (what our footage is converted to right after the shoot.) What are some solutions?

Thanks.
Re: Two workstations with one media drive or server. Possible?
January 31, 2013 08:48PM
>The research I have so far gathered suggest that a NAS (through gigabyte ethernet cables) would be too slow for
>video files.

Wrong. Ethernet is fast enough for what you want to use it for (single stream ProRes 422LT). Just make sure your media drive array is fast enough to stream at least 2 streams of ProRes LT with lots of headroom for the overheads of TCP/IP stack. Ideally work off a 4 bay RAID 5 array connected via eSATA (or if you can get something faster even better).

1. Get loads of RAM on one machine. FCP sips RAM, so 12-16GB should be enough. This helps stabilize the connection. This machine will be the host. The other will be the client.

2. Hook up an ethernet cable to the two Macs.

3. Go to network settings. For the ethernet port that is connected to the 2nd machine, set "Configure IPv4" to using DHCP (with manual address). Enter an unique IP address. Eg. 192.183.1.1. Click "advanced" and go to hardware. Set "configure" to "manually" and set MTU to "Custom" and key in 8100. Click OK.

4. Go to "Sharing" in system preferences. And check "file sharing". Add your media drive to "Shared Folders" and set "users" "everyone" to "Read & Write". I'm assuming you are not on an open network, if you are, you may want to set better permissions here.

5. Go to the client machine, and repeat step 3, but use a different IP subnet mask (eg. 192.183.1.2).

6. Mount the shared volume. Voila.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 03, 2013 01:01AM
Strypes,

Thank you. The information you provided is incredibly useful. I did not have a chance to check back to LAFCPUG until today and I saw your reply. All I can say is that the internet is amazing. Can you recommend a NAS? Synergy?

Thank you again,

Jonathan
February 03, 2013 04:47PM
Yes. Small Tree has a good solution that may be what you are looking for. They also provide excellent post sales support.

The Titanium 4 connects up to 4 workstations and comes integrated with everything, so you don't have to worry about configuring routers or switchers. And storage starts from 8TBs and goes up to 16TB. It's also a system that is designed and configured for video editing.

[www.small-tree.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
February 27, 2013 10:27PM
Thank you, by looking at their site it looks like they provide excellent sales support and a quality product. Something I am willing to pay for. But $7500 is about $6000 over what I was expecting to pay. Any other suggestions? Or you just get what you pay for? thanks.
March 01, 2013 11:10AM
You get what you pay for.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 01, 2013 03:33PM
Yup. Thats what it seems. I talked to Dennis Bress last night from iEEi.TV - Maybe you have heard of him - Super nice guy. Anyways, yes, to do it right we are looking at a significant investment - $7500 minimum. It looks like I'll be sticking with the two hard drive system for now but I'm considering a new iMac for workstation #2.

Which now brings up a new issue: Whats a drive I can plug into a new thunderbolt iMac and also an older firewire800/USB 2 iMac (so I can copy and transfer the files to my older iMAc) ... oh wait... I suppose we could just "Transfer" the files over ethernet huh? Which might take some time...

Last questions: Do you know if the new iMac's run FCP 7 fine? And where would you buy a legitimate copy of FCP 7 now-a-days?

Thank you - this has been a big help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics