Display Unavailable

Posted by JmanSmith96 
Display Unavailable
March 20, 2013 05:08PM
I'm having trouble editing a standard short film in my FCP sequence. I'm editing my files off a FAT32 external hard drive. When i try to drag my .MOV clips into the sequence my canvas screen turns red saying 'Display unavailable.' Any suggestions??
Re: Display Unavailable
March 20, 2013 06:53PM
not enough info.

what are these files?
what format?
which version of FCP?

you may need to convert the files to an FCP friendly codec

nick
March 20, 2013 07:28PM
.MOV files, some of them work fine but others get that 'general error' message.
I'm using FCP7
March 20, 2013 07:30PM
.MOV isn't a codec. To find out the specs of a clip, you need to select a clip in FCP7 and press COMMAND-9, and/or open it in QuickTime Player Pro 7 and check Information (COMMAND-I) or Tracks (COMMAND-J).

You'd probably want to hire somebody to do the assistant-editor work for you.

www.derekmok.com
March 20, 2013 07:34PM
LOL
it's for a school assignment due next week
March 20, 2013 07:38PM
I'm not sure FCP7 is the right tool for you. It's got more quirks (some of which are utterly nonsensical) and has a steeper learning curve. Have you tried FCPX, Adobe Premiere or iMovie?

www.derekmok.com
March 20, 2013 07:41PM
I've used it before and haven't had this issue. Just wondering how to work around it?
March 20, 2013 07:43PM
Check the media settings (see above). You'll probably have to batch-convert the clips to ProRes.

www.derekmok.com
March 20, 2013 07:45PM
Fat32 drives have a 2gb (or is it 4GB, can't remember) on mac file size limit. It could be that the clips that don't work are spanned, or too big to work correctly.

Try copying one of the dodgy clips to your main hard drive to see if it works better.

March 21, 2013 01:16AM
codecs on the .MOV files are H.264, Linear PCM. same problem occurs even using these files off my main computer hard drive. how would you approach converting them to this ProRes?
March 21, 2013 11:03AM
If it's for a short project under a month, you could download the 30 day trial for Adobe Creative Cloud and use Premiere Pro.

[creative.adobe.com]

Otherwise, transcode it to ProRes with Mpeg Streamclip or Compressor.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 23, 2013 10:43PM
you need to use ether Compressor, or Mpeg Streamclip to convert the files to ProRes

do the files open in in ANYTHING?

you know, .mov. or H264 is still not much of an answer to the question what format are the files?
the more info you give them better info you'll get back.

another question is where do the files come from?
if FAT32 drive IS the problem, can you re-aquire the files, putting them on another (Mac formatted) drive?

nick
April 16, 2013 01:44AM
Somewhat related... How do I convert 6D files to Prores?? Can't seem to do it...
April 16, 2013 05:53AM
The Canon E1 plugin, used on Final Cut Pro 7, has not been updated to work with clips from the latest 5DmkIII or the 6D. So you'd have to use MPEG Streamclip or Compressor. Rarevision 5DtoRGB may also work? I find their customer support to be pretty bad, though.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics