I have a FCP 7.0.3 project that when I open it error reads: This project is unreadable or may be too new for this version of Final Cut

Posted by Stephanie Hubbard 
Hello everyone,

I'm running FCP on MAC OS X Version 10.6.8 on a MacPro1.1 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon tower with 10 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 FB-Dmm Memory.

I moved the system last week - got it to my new office and the project opened up fine.

I closed everything down and when I came back - I got this message.

"This project is unreadable or may be too new for this version of Final Cut"

Non of the autosaved versions worked, and even a very old version of the project on my deskstop wouldn't open. Other unrelated projects do open how ever (phew)

I got a new hard drive and copied everything from the project in question to it.

The Original drive is a LACIE d2 USB3 (running on a USB2 cable and port on the system)

The new drive is a GRAID 4TB running on a Firewire 800.

I tried to open the project from the new drive, and it didn't work.

Oh- also - before I copied everything over to the new drive I got a message from Apple saying OS couldn't repair the damage to the drive and that I should back up and reformat asap.

Also when I went to do something on that drive - it said something about directories being frozen...(I was trying to set new scratch disk in FCP)

I've thrown out the preferences - it's been suggested to me to find the render files and open it that way - but I can't seem to find render files that have anything to do with that project.....

I hope there is a way to solve this and that you'll help me find it!!! Thank you!

Stephanie
You could try the 'Project repair' utility that is part of Digital Rebellion's "pro Maintenance Tools' pack here : [www.digitalrebellion.com]

What Jude said, plus...

Try DiskWarrior (about US$100) to repair the disk directory on the troubled drive.

Plus...

I wouldn't use USB *anything* for media-- FireWire, eSata, Thunderbolt are streaming technologies optimized for time-based media. USB in any flavor is still a packet-based protocol which doesn't stream. It delivers..well, data packets! It's like UPS ground compared to FedEx air.

Meanwhile, is it possible to open the project without your media drive attached?
This is a tried and true sometimes successful technique. Disconnect your scratch disk and reboot, try to open the project.

If successful, immediately copy all contents of your Browser to a fresh project Browser window and save that under a new name, and save it to your system drive-- I have my FCP Projects folder in my Documents folder and occasionally back that up to optical disk-- not to your scratch disk.

Then attempt to reconnect media to the new project from the new Firewire RAID.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
To reposition a Marker press Command and drag it!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics