Having trouble with FCP and Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3

Posted by chunksmcg 
Having trouble with FCP and Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
May 10, 2013 08:32PM
Yesterday I had a shoot using the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3. The footage is 1920x1080, H264 and was shot at a frame rate of 59.94. When I bring the footage into FCP 7.0.3 it's playing down at what seems to be normal speed. If I bring the same footage into After Effects it plays down at the correct (slow motion) speed. In order to solve the issue for now I am rendering the footage out as a tiff sequence and bringing it back into FCP so that it plays at the correct speed. There is a lot of footage and I do not want to use this long work around. Does anyone know how to get FCP to play the 59.94 footage at its correct speed?

Thanks in advance for any help
Re: Having trouble with FCP and Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
May 11, 2013 12:07AM
You probably need to put it in a timeline with the desired frame rate, instead of letting FCP decide. You could also conform it in cinematools.

And of corse transcoding to ProRes, is highly recommended.
Re: Having trouble with FCP and Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
May 11, 2013 04:54AM
> When I bring the footage into FCP 7.0.3 it's playing down at what seems to be normal speed. If I bring the same footage
> into After Effects it plays down at the correct (slow motion) speed.

59.94fps isn't "slow-motion" at "normal speed". 59.94fps at "normal speed" simply means more frames per second. What you're looking for is "overcranking" -- shooting a higher frame rate and then playing it back at a lower frame rate to achieve slow motion, which is not the "normal speed" of the original clip.

If you stick a 59.94fps clip into a 23.98fps Sequence in FCP, FCP will simply drop some frames in the playback. You need to ingest the clip in FCP as 59.94fps, then use Cinema Tools (or Digital Rebellion Pro Media Tools) to conform the clip to play at 23.98fps.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics